Digger

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheese-It_Mom

My chinchilla, Cheese, likes to dig in her cage. She will also get to the point where she's being so rambunctious that she moves her hiding stump around. Does she need a bath or is there something else wrong?

Some chins just like to rearrange their cage, and some like to dig around in the bedding. It can be a sign they want a dust bath, if it's been a few days since their last bath that is possible. Also if they have lava/pumice chews in the cage they will sometimes try to roll in the dust from chewing it since it's the same thing their dust bath is made of.

My chin will also dig/kick up bedding on occasion. Seems almost like a nesting thing to me or maybe she is just rearranging lol. If I push the bedding back, she’ll just kick it at me again!

My chin loves to redecorate. She'll move around virtually anything that isn't bolted to her cage. Sometimes she also likes to dig around in her shavings (one reason I'm excited to get fleece liners: less shavings to sweep up!). I think it's perfectly normal. Just make sure she's got plenty of chew-safe toys in there to keep her entertained. I like to make sure mine always has a few that clip to the bars of the cage as well as a few loose ones she can toss around. Mind you, that doesn't keep her from redecorating, but it does help to keep her amused.

Back