Difference between Mosaic and white ebony?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthlyrose

I didn't see a color forum started yet, and I have been trying to find an answer on different breeder sites, but can't seem to. From what I'm understanding, the only real difference is that a white ebony carries ebony gene. I don't see a significant appearance difference but please correct me if I'm wrong! Is there any really trait differences between the two? Or does one just carry the ebony gene? Thanks in advanced!

Mosaics are just mosaics. Most people will say white violet or white ebony, etc., so that people know what they are "mixed" with. :)

The only way you can tell an ebony mosaic is if some of the dark color is on the belly. A mosaic out of true standards will still retain the white belly.

I wonder if the whole line from ma & pa sides are ebony, is my chin ebony too? She is white TOV "ebony", as said is in her pedigree. Has a dark ring around her tail, some dark hairs near eyes, dark whiskers, which will not say if she's ebony... Her pa is white ebony mosaic, spots on belly too, ma is extra dark. Her sis is extra dark ebony too.

I didn't see a color forum started yet, and I have been trying to find an answer on different breeder sites, but can't seem to. From what I'm understanding, the only real difference is that a white ebony carries ebony gene. I don't see a significant appearance difference but please correct me if I'm wrong! Is there any really trait differences between the two? Or does one just carry the ebony gene? Thanks in advanced!
Ebony mosaic has some black hair on its belly. if it's a dark ebony the chinchilla stains can be black too. In an ebony mosaic, the white gene must appear somewhere, mixed with black hair or in the form of spots.

I wonder if the whole line from ma & pa sides are ebony, is my chin ebony too? She is white TOV "ebony", as said is in her pedigree. Has a dark ring around her tail, some dark hairs near eyes, dark whiskers, which will not say if she's ebony... Her pa is white ebony mosaic, spots on belly too, ma is extra dark. Her sis is extra dark ebony too.
Your chin is ebony, no doubts

but if both parents are medium ebony, for example, standard kits may be born

Back