Did I Pick the Right Dry Cat Food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sonica

I bought Royal Canine Dry Cat Food for overweight indoor cats. My hedgie weighs 594.6g (the vet said she is overweight) and due to her nails being embedded in her paws and unable to walk very well i would think that she is right. So, did I choose the right kind, I am slow adding bit by bit to the unknown kibble the pet store lady gave me and she seems to be eating it. So is this kind ok, I checked the protein and fat and they are in the ranges that are suggested on here.

I think that Royal Canine is a good food, but I buy a mix of 5 or 6 different dry cat foods from the breeder I got my hedgie from. I think a mix of a few would be better since each food has different nutrients. Also, have you cut her nails? They shouldn't be embedded, even if she is overweight.

Couple of things.

1. Royal Canin is ok. I personally don't like RC as I don't like its ingredients, and my hedgehogs picked around it. Try to pick up at least 1 or 2 more foods to add to her mix. That way if you should run out of the RC and cannot get anymore, or if they change its formula you have a food or two to fall back on.

2. Can your hedgehog roll up into a ball with no skin showing? If so, she is not likely to be obese. Weight means nothing in hedgehogs as there are large hedgehogs and small hedgehogs. I currently have one that weighs 750g, she can curl up fully. I have also have one currently that is 400g. If he was 750 g he would be extremely obese, where as the other would be skin and bones.

Back