Diabolical Chin Behavior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnhappyRefrain

My chin has started a new behavior that I wanted to know if anybody else has experienced. It seems like my chin will make random noises in the morning if he feels that I am sleeping too long (the cage is in my room). He started off with little, yet noticeable squeaks, but this morning he sounded like he was getting stabbed to death (I have never heard such a horrific sound from him before). I jumped out of bed and ran to the cage. He was just sitting there pretty as you please. Then he turned his head and looked at me as if saying 'oh, you're up.' He was completely fine.

I'm beginning to suspect that he is doing it on purpose in order to get me up. My first chin never did anything like this, so I wanted to know how common this type of thing is.

It's kind of hard to know the sound without hearing it, but from your description it sounds like an alarm call. Basically chins do it to alert everyone to something, or very commonly to train the human to come. 🤦‍♀️ They call out and you come running.
Here is a link to common chin sounds Chinchilla Sounds The "alarm call" I am referring to is labeled The Warning Call in this article.

It kind of sounded like a baby chinchilla contact noise. Kind of. Which is odd considering he just turned one last month. Nothing else seems to match what I heard.

Back