Detergent For Chin Fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnhappyRefrain

I have a bit of a problem right now. My chin has a weepy eye and gets drops as needed (he was at the vet last week and his mouth is fine). He obviously hates the drops, so after he gets them, he will rub his face on the fleece I have for him.

I can't help but wonder if the detergent I'm using to clean the fleece is aggravateing his allergies. Which detergents do you guys think is safest for chinnies?

I don't use detergent at all, I just use a cup of white vinegar in the wash. It's naturally antibacterial, neutralizes ammonia, and relaxes fabric fibers (softening it and helping to release fur). If it's smelly or stained you can use baking soda in the wash, then vinegar during the rinse cycle (or if you don't catch it in time just do a second rinse with the vinegar)

If you want actual detergent though I've heard people use scent and dye free detergents l like Tide Free & Gentle for example. Even if you use one of those detergents it's still best to do an extra rinse to make sure it's all washed out, and don't use fabric softener, it coats the fleece making it non as absorbent.

I don't use detergent at all, I just use a cup of white vinegar in the wash. It's naturally antibacterial, neutralizes ammonia, and relaxes fabric fibers (softening it and helping to release fur). If it's smelly or stained you can use baking soda in the wash, then vinegar during the rinse cycle (or if you don't catch it in time just do a second rinse with the vinegar)

If you want actual detergent though I've heard people use scent and dye free detergents l like Tide Free & Gentle for example. Even if you use one of those detergents it's still best to do an extra rinse to make sure it's all washed out, and don't use fabric softener, it coats the fleece making it non as absorbent.
I have been looking for that brand of Tide, but none of my stores seem to have it. Must order it somewhere. I will definitely be doing the extra rinse regardless. Thanks!

Back