Dental exam/x-rays

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittneyk13

Daisy🌺
My chinchilla had a dental exam an X-rays done today because she has been pawing at her mouth and grinding her teeth a lot lately. The vet said everything looked normal. After the appointment she seemed fine, she was eating hay an pellets, no issues but after an hour or so of being home she seems to almost be in pain? An she wants nothing to do with her hay an pellets now. She did not have any dental work done an I know it can take them a little bit to come completely out of feeling groggy from the sedation but I just didn’t know if the exam itself would cause her to be in pain? An if it does how long before she goes back to normal?

Just the vet visit itself can make them go off feed, how is the chin today? Pawing and grinding does not point to Malo if that is the only symptoms, weight loss and drooling are more alarming.

She’s seems more like herself today. I was able to get some critical care in her this morning and when I got home from work she was eating some hay an there were a few poops in her cage. I’m hoping she was just stressed and will go back to normal.

Update: daisy started to go down hill an I wasn’t getting as much CC into her as I wanted to. She was barely pooping an when she did they were super small an pointy. I took her back to the vet an they gave her something to get her gut moving an a stronger pain med. The vet was able to get her to eat a good amount of CC. She is home now. I have been reading that its better to force feed every few hours in smaller amounts is this true? An should I be getting up in the middle of the night to feed her as well?

The chin may also be gassy, they can gulp air when hand fed. I would get some simethicone, baby gas drops, and give the chin a full dropper every 4 hours for a day or so, simethicone is harmless, it just busts bubbles so don’t worry about over doing it. As far as critical care, you want to try to get 40ml at least a day, 4 10ml feedings. Some chins will eat triple that but the 40 ml will keep you out of trouble gut wise.

How can I get her to start eating more on her own? She has been taking the CC pretty good but she still won’t eat much on her own.

Her poops have gotten a lot better and she is acting more like herself. Should I start to wean her off the meds and the CC? And if so how should I do it? Sorry for all the questions I just don’t know how to go about this. The vet did say she wasn’t in full on stasis yet so I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

Back