Dehumidifier

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinsForLife

Ok, so the past 2 days or so, the humidity in my room has been between 70%-80% and idk why. I guess because of all of the rain we've had recently. My air conditioner is keeping my room at 69 or 70 degrees consistently but it isn't dehumidifying at all for some reason. My humidity is way too high. Anyway, I'm looking for an INEXPENSIVE humidifier that will get here ASAP. I looked at one from Walmart but wanted yall's input. Thank you! I want one that is high quality but the cheaper the better.
@Amethyst @tunes

I don't really have any suggestions, I don't use dehumidifiers, personally I would just read the reviews, the good and bad to see what people say about it. I do know they give off heat when used though, so keep a close eye on the temp, you may need to turn the AC down or only run the dehumidifier at night when it's cooler. Also make sure you get the right size for the room, one that is too small will likely need to run a lot longer to bring the moisture level down, which means more heat produced. Also if it's small you need to empty it more often, most have an auto shutoff when full to prevent over flow but that meaning it will stop working if the tank gets full.

You can also give the chins dust baths more often to help absorb any moisture in their fur from the humid air.

Well, it's great for the price! The humidity is already down to 59%-60% consistently. My temp is 68-70 F. If it even stays that low for now, I'll be happy. I mean, it's way better than 80% humidity! I may have to settle for a "130 rule" instead of the recommended 120 (temperature plus humidity) just during the hotter time of year but they seem to be happy and healthy! I just do 3 dust baths a week instead of 2. :)

Last edited:
That's great it worked out, dehumidifiers aren't too complicated so it's probably like a fan where brand doesn't really matter that much. That "120 rule" is pretty much crap anyway, it makes no sense since it would mean that chins would be fine in high temps so long as the humidity is low, which is not true at all. So long as you keep the temp below 70F then 40-60% humidity is fine.

That's great it worked out, dehumidifiers aren't too complicated so it's probably like a fan where brand doesn't really matter that much. That "120 rule" is pretty much crap anyway, it makes no sense since it would mean that chins would be fine in high temps so long as the humidity is low, which is not true at all. So long as you keep the temp below 70F then 40-60% humidity is fine.
Ok, thank you for letting me know!! I don't let it get above 72 EVER anyway or over 65% humidity at the most but I just heard that somewhere so i would have just used that as a basic reference, of course 80 degrees or somewhere around there is much too high. There's just so much misinformation out there so i definitelysee how some could take that the wrong way. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back