Degu questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

I was reading online about different things about degus and I thought I’d see if anyone knew if this stuff was true or not.

Is it okay to have them caged in an aquarium with a cage on top?

Are they allowed pieces of carpet, tennis balls, napkins, tissues, toilet paper, tissue boxes, egg cartons, etc?

Are mesh wheels okay for them? If so, what size is best? If not, what type is okay for them?

Are salt blocks okay for them to have?

Are they allowed cat toys?

Twigs and branches that are put in the cage; should they be prepared like they are for chins?

Well, it's hard to really say if any of it is true, because I don't think any major studies have been done on degus... but here's my take on this stuff...

I do think it's ok to have them in an acquarium with a cage topper. However, I only think it's ok if the bottom part is cleaned very frequently, as the ammonia builds up super quick in the acquarium part. I prefer to have them in a wire cage, although I have to say the mess is much larger that way...

There's a degu forum I was on a bit ago, and people on there would give their degus carpet and that sort of thing IF the degu didn't chew on it. If the degu started chewing, they'd take it away. Mine? They'd pee on the carpet and make it stink, so I personally don't, but to each their own. I do give mine cardboard boxes and things like tissues to shred up. They seem to enjoy that, and in my experience, it's never hurt them...

Like with chins, I would still go with no for the mesh wheels. My degus have a 15" chin spin. That may be excessive, but with the way degus have their claws, their nails are different than that of a chins, and I could easily see them getting them stuck in a mesh wheel. I personally wouldn't, but maybe I'm overly cautious.

I wouldn't personally give salt blocks (I don't) - I just don't see the need for them. When salt blocks are given to (what is it...?) rabbits? Isn't there like a purpose for it? I don't think there's the same purpose for degus...

I think it would depend on the cat toy. My degus rip everything they have to shreds, so unless it's edible or cardboard/tissue-type material, I tend to not put it in their cage. I would stay away from things with plastic, feathers, toys with little pieces that could come off... they put everything in their mouths, or at least, mine do. Mine chew the brass locks on their cage, and while I know those aren't going to break apart anytime soon, other stuff does...

I have a few branches in my cage, and yes, they're prepared the same way. Never had any problems, and at least that way you know it's 100% safe.

I had degus for a few years. They lived just like my chins, very similar habitat. I'd never give them carpet or tennis balls or anything you wouldn't give a chin (though I did give them some kinds of bird toys), they chew just as must and pee with less reservation on things.

I DID use a mesh wheel for a while, but I gave them a 12" Silent Spinner and that was much nicer for them and me. They didn't chew on the plastic because I kept them stocked with other stuff.

And no, no salt or mineral licks/chews. Those shouldn't be given to any small animal, not guinea pigs, rabbits, chinchillas, degus, what have you. They do nothing but harm.

I fed mine a mix of guinea pig pellets (Mazuri) and Rabbit pellets (PANR) this is the best diet for them (the mix) along with hay.

This was my degu cage when I fist got them. It's been a while and I don't have a picture of their later cage.

S5032680.jpg

Last edited:
My little sister has 2 degus that she got from greychins (I believe) and right now they get the same toys that the chins get. and I thought I'd mix it up for them a bit. Give them something they are allowed that the chins aren't.

Another question...
Coconuts...are they safe for them? I thought about getting a coconut and hollowing it out in hopes of making a tunnel and hanging nest box for them.
After hollowing it out, do I bake it, or let it dry out?

Don't give them anything you wouldn't give to the chins. Coconuts are fine. Wire wheels are not worth the risk of toes getting caught. I agree, carpet would probably just get peed on and is not really necessary anyway.

I've had my degus for 6-7 years now. They are taken care of exactly the same as the chins, with two exceptions. Degus like to nest, so I give them clean shredded paper. My degus have a wheel...none of the chins do. My degus have a 15" wheel from Quality Cage (http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_19&products_id=1808). I'd never give a chin a wheel with spokes as I've dealt with injured legs before, but the degus do fine with them, even hopping on and off while the wheel is moving.

You can get them a wodent wheel, as a cheaper alternative to a CS. You can even get it w/ a sand paper insert to trim the nails. We have a wodent wheel for the rats at school and it works pretty good for them. http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Exercise-Department.htm I'd go for the 11 inch one.

Personally mine have a flying saucer (they had a CS and it was too heavy for them). I took a picture of my guys cage the other day, I'll try to get it loaded on photobucket.

cage.jpg

I do add branches that have not been baked, but I scrub them and wipe them with vinegar. I need to make some more the ones with bolts finally gave out.

Last edited:
My little sister has 2 degus that she got from greychins (I believe) and right now they get the same toys that the chins get. and I thought I'd mix it up for them a bit. Give them something they are allowed that the chins aren't.
Yup, that's where she got them. Hi, btw. :) I take it they're doing well?

Like everyone else said here, I treat my degus basically the same as the chins, except I give my degus cardboard and napkins/tissues because they like to make little nests. They all get basically the same treats and chews, they're both on Mazuri, and so on... I have the chin spin for the degus, and I have found that it's not too heavy for them, but then again, I may just have fat, heavy degus.... cause they can all get on it and run pretty quick...

Here's a pic of my cage... it looks a little different now... they destroyed the hammock and the triangle thing at the top, and the shelves all need to be replaced... this is a "pretty" picture of the cage I have, haha.

cage-1.jpg

Back