Dealing with rust

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvatore

So I got a cage off craigslist that looked deceivingly like a FN cage. It turns out it is actually the feisty ferret cage. That's all fine and good because I can still order custom sized pans (that and the price was VERY good). My dilemma is dealing with the rust. I've been at it for a good hour and a half. I've been using baking soda mixed with some water. Vinegar and water, and a sponge. So the pictures are of what's left after all the scrubbing. I still have some more work to do, but is my chinchilla in any danger? The pan will cover the worst parts, but there are some on the bars that I don't think I'll be able to completely remove.

Attachments

• IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 35
You could get a wire brush and get as much rust off of it as possible then maybe paint it. These cages rust like crazy because they use steel that just...rusts! They use the cheapest metal they can and then paint it, once the paint wears a little the moisture gets in and, bam, rust. The chin isn't any real danger from it, but eventually it will rust away completely. Cleaning it up really well and then painting it will extend the life of it.

I really wish that they would use a better grade of steel with more corrosion resistance for these cages, it's not like their price is so cheap that it's okay for it to rust like that. I think that they make them in China and cost reduce them as much as possible to make a huge profit...it would be nice if it was made in North America or any place willing to put quality and durability at a higher priority. (I have these cages come in quite a bit with rescues or boarders...and they all have some rust damage on them...)

Okay, so this definitely won't be a life long cage! That's alright though. I think the previous owner may have left this cage outside which is why the rust is SO bad. In terms of painting it, what would you recommend?

Back