curious my chin was gave up and i got him from

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stomparoo

a rescue he had to he rehome twices amm his 3rd buddy and he seem happy but won't let me pick him up can bearly pet his head and it been almost a year now and i just curious if a chin will rebond with a new owner

It can take time, especially if he wasn't treated well in either or both his previous homes. Do you know much about his history or how old he is? It can often take at least as long as he was mistreated or neglected to get over it, so it could very likely take years for him to come around. Also keep in mind that most chins never really like being held, but most can learn to tolerate it in time once they trust you. With chins you have to earn their trust too, it's not freely given. He was let down by 2 other humans before you so it's understandable he is reluctant to bond again, but that doesn't mean he never will.

a rescue he had to he rehome twices amm his 3rd buddy and he seem happy but won't let me pick him up can bearly pet his head and it been almost a year now and i just curious if a chin will rebond with a new owner
Nevertheless, he must be cute. Any pictures?:)

How have you been interacting with him? My chin is also a rescue, and I found the best way to bond with her was by letting her come to me on her terms rather than trying to force my love on her on my terms. I'd just open the door to her cage and put my hand in there and talk to her, allowing her to come up to me and check me out and then retreat as she pleased. I also made a habit of giving her bits of hay, pellets, chew sticks, and treats (sparingly) from my hand when I'd go by her cage, so she started to associate me with good things. She actually bonded with me fairly quickly (she was probably younger than yours when I got her, which could have been a factor in her quick bonding). It took a few weeks for her to get comfortable with me petting and scratching her. She still doesn't love being picked up, but that's pretty typical of chins generally. She will tolerate being picked up and held for short periods of time, but since she doesn't really like it, I usually only pick her up when I have to.

Just be patient and keep at it. Chins are nervous prey animals by nature, so they need to be convinced that you're not a scary predator out to do them harm. That process will be more difficult if they've had bad experiences with humans in the past, but with enough patience and consistency, he should come around.

How I bonded with my nigel was just sitting by his cage with the door open and talking to him in a calming low voice. Eventualy after a few weeks I began putting my arms in the cage and after a while he would jump all over me and get excited for our bonding time together. I also gave him the occasional treat.

How I bonded with my nigel was just sitting by his cage with the door open and talking to him in a calming low voice. Eventualy after a few weeks I began putting my arms in the cage and after a while he would jump all over me and get excited for our bonding time together. I also gave him the occasional treat.
Amazing. Who among your chins took the least time to bond?

How's the bonding attempt going, any improvement?

Back