Critter nation vs Ferret nation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosco Lam

i know i already started a thread for cages buti really want to make sure my chin gets the perfect house!

should i get the ferret nation 182 http://www.petco.com/product/116383...h-Stand-Ferret-Cage.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

or the critter nation http://www.petco.com/product/116474...d-Small-Animal-Cage.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

i can price match both of these with www.forhappydogs.com so price is not really an issue. the designs look similar to meand i was just wondering if anyone has tried these before.

thanks a bunch!! :)

Either one is really nice. The FN you need tools to put together and the CN snaps together if I remember correctly. Other than that, it's usually just price that makes a difference. You chin would love either one. :)

thanks! or should i get the single level since i AM only getting once chinchilla...

If you think you are ever going to want to expand, better to just buy it now. It's a more expensive to buy it in pieces.

I just wanted to add that the new FN 182 is just a snap together cage as well. We ordered from ferret.com and some of the pieces were a little bent and hard to snap together, but with a hammer it went together fairly easily for us. I'm not sure if they'd be like that from forhappydogs or if that was just a ferret.com shipping problem.

The critter nation cage has bars that go horizontally. The Ferret Nation bars are vertical. Ifyou have climbers, the CN might be easier for them to scramble up...although it's never happened here. I have 2 CN 182s and love them.
I've wondered if it's harder to install shelves on the FN because of the vertical bars? There's a thread here about the Ferret Nation fan club, you might be able to get more info from it.
Good luck! They're both great cages.

Only difference that hasn't been mentioned is the bar spacing on critter nation is smaller, so if you are getting a young chin that may be better.

I have only one critter nation single but several FN singles and doubles. I have to say that personally I hate the critter nation! I don't have babies or very young/tiny chins and that is about the only positive I see for the CN. The bar spacing is too tight for me to be able to reach in and give scritches without opening the cage doors and even though the CN was purchased new I already have had to repair/cover several places where the bars have broken loose from the vertical supports.Water bottle nozzles do not fit easily through the openings.Also I had to stack the CN with a FN double and due to the way the CN is tool free assembly,my hubster had to make a custom wood caster platform to put it on. The CN had to go on bottom and with the tight wire spacing I think the cage doesn't get as much natural light.Just a few of the things I have discovered since I have the full range of FN's from the original single,doubles,no tools assembly and the one CN no tools assembly.:)

I have both cages and I like the critter nation better. The cage is much more sturdy than the new FNs. And the smaller bar spacing makes the ledges more secure. My chins are abolute nuts, so they ten to bend cage bars by jumpin on the ledges so much but the CN has held up great. I also like that it has a slightly smaller door so less space for them to excape out when I'm feeding or scratching. I put a wire bottom on the CN so the slide out pan makes for very easy cleaning. I don't have to order the BASS pans. The only down fall is that it is a smaller cage. If you think you might ever get more chins there is only so much room to grow.

thank you everyone! i think i might go with the critter nation because i'm getting a baby chinchilla. thanks again!

hello, sorry to revive an old thread.

Could someone who has owned both tell me if you find the CN or the FN easier to attach cage furniture (shelves, wheels, bottles, etc)?

I have the Fiesty Ferret cage now with vertical bars but the spacing is so far and only two awkwardly placed cross bars that anything I attaching with wing nuts and a washer still feels really unsturdy. I want to upgrade to something that will be safer and more fun!

again reviving an old thread. What is the difference between a Fiesty Ferret and Ferret Nation? The double Ferret Nation looks very similar to the Fiesty to me. Also, if it difficult to take out the wire floor?

I got the Critter Nation because of the bar spacing... My cat is less likely to get his paws in the cage that way. ;)

I have the double unit too. :)

I think the CN is easy to attach things to. :)

do the pans from Bass (made for a Ferret Nation) fit into a Critter Nation? it seems like it would, but just want to make absolute sure...

Yes, they do. I have one of each. The top level of mine is a little snug, but as long as you push it in straight, it fits fine.

The Ferret Nation and Critter Nation are essentially the same, except that the bars on the Critter Nation run horizontal and are not spaced as far apart as the Ferret Nation. The Critter Nation bars are even suitable for sugar gliders (they are only about the size of a chipmunk). In fact, I'm thinking about buying a second Critter Nation to upgrade my sugar gliders' housing, as the first one is in use by my more numerous pet rats currently.
w.png

For chins, I personally prefer the FN. I have one CN and Four FN's. With the CN I had to put the water bottle inside the cage as the nozzle was too big to fit through the bars, they are very close together and I didn't want to buy a new bottle. Luckily its a glass lixit bottle and they cant chew it. When it comes to mounting shelves it is easier if you are by yourself to have an FN. My fingers can fit through the bars and hold things in place from the other side vs. the CN where I had to wait until I could have someone help me.

Also, Feisty Ferrets are actually quite a bit smaller that a FN. They also only have one door on each level, unlike the FN where the entire front opens up. The hole which leads from top level to bottom level is located in different places. In the FN it is in a corner of your choice(depending on how to assemble it, and the Feisty Ferrets is located in the front/rear of the shelf in the center. The wire 'middle' shelves can be taken out of both cages.

I know I'm late here but would a critter nation attach to a ferret nation? I mean a ferret nation add one on a bottom floor critter nation...

Back