Crash course on sick Chin care (my chin is on Meloxicam and not eating much now)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolatPocky

I've had my chinchilla, Mr. B, for about a month now. I adopted him from a Chinchilla adoption center and he was a bright happy chin! Been feeding him Oxbow Essential pellets, timothy hay, occasional chinchilla safe dried flowers/herbs, and spoiling him with apple sticks, chew toys etc. Unsure of his history tho.

A few days ago he had some obvious mouth pain (rubbing mouth, loud/constant teeth grinding, wincing/flattening ears), I posted this in the other topic thread under health. After taking to him a vet who diagnosed him with molar spurs but wasn't able to perform the procedure, I have to wait a few days for another appt with a vet who CAN do the procedure. In the mean time, he is given Meloxicam for the inflammation in the morning.

At night, I come home to see him looking lethargic, not having eaten much and hardly a chinnie poop in sight! I ask the lady I adopted him from what to do and she said he might be reacting to the medication, and I'm also guessing his mouth hurts, poor little guy. He will eat treats I give him but no pellets or hay. So I mush up his pellets with water, add a bit of honey, some rose petals, honey pollen, and dandelion herbs to just get him to want to eat it - he does, which is a relief. Going to see if I can get him to eat more. He chewed some hay, had a pretty bad pain in his mouth and stopped. :( Now he spends a lot of time hiding behind his running dish, so he's probably not feeling well. I am going to call the vet tomorrow to ask if I should keep giving him the meds.

Ummm so as a new chinchilla owner how am I doing? Am I missing anything? How much should I be trying to get him to eat? Should I try to get him to eat critical care too? His vet visit is on Thursday morning but they can't do the actual procedure that day either (ugh). I may wake up later tonight to try to feed him again because I'm terrified he'll croak!

Mr. B tired after I kept pushing him to eat his mush:
59946800831__EFBDFAEC-9745-422D-AC4B-966EF1161FC6.JPG-1.jpeg
Hope the little guy feels better soon..

Of course, as I finish writing this I hear him in the other room running on his wheel.. so maybe he's feeling a bit better?? He wouldn't eat anymore mush when I offered it to him though.

Back