Cracked bleeding feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderatr
My chin Bazil's feet are getting dried out, when I picked him up there was a few drops of blood on my fingers. :( I know I've read about getting bag balm for dried feet, but I don't have any, I was going to get some when I went into the city next week. I live about a half an hour drive from the nearest town, out in the countryside with no working car, so popping over to the drugstore is not an option. I can see if my husband can pick some up if he goes though town early enough on his way home, but in the mean time is there anything else I can do? I attached a photo if his feet too, one heel looks a little swollen as well. Does it look bad enough to need to go to the vet? or should it be fine with just some balm on it? He is playing, eating, drinking, pooping and being his normal bully self, maybe just a little grumpy cause I kept checking out his feet. The cage is lined with fleece and they have a metal litter pan with aspen shavings.

Attachments

• BazilCrackedFeet.jpg
    BazilCrackedFeet.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
OK thank you, I also don't having any vitamin E plain (I have lotion with vitamin E but it's got other stuff too and is for humans, no good), but I do have vegetable oil, I wasn't sure if it would work or not, lol. I was hoping I could use something until I can get to the store or have someone do it for me. :) I also have aloe vera, is that safe to use? It's 100% pure aloe gel I attached pics of the bottle.

Attachments

• AloeVera.jpg
    AloeVera.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14
  • AloeVeraBack.jpg
    AloeVeraBack.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8
I just wanted to say that the aloe vera gel worked wonders, this feet are looking better already! The crack has closed up and I don't see any blood, and the bit of swelling has gone down. I use this for myself on scraps and burns, and on my dog's feet when they get cracked in the winter, I'm glad I can use it for the chinchillas too. Oh and he doesn't seem to be licking it at all, he just seemed a little bothered by my putting it on his feet, like it ticked him :D. I only used a small dot of gel on a q-tip each time.

Back