Could I boil water bottles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikaia

Gonna keck your butt ;)
Currently, I am using plastic water bottles. After doing research on the forum, I see that glass bottles are much better. I'm gonna switch to those. However, My bottles need washed and I'm thinking what is the best way to do this. I hate using soap because I'm always afraid I won't rinse them out good enough. I tend to overkill on rinsing, but I'm still paranoid.

Could I possibly boil water and put the water bottles along with caps in there? Would this be enough? How long should I leave them in the water?

I would dip them in boiling water with white vinegar (and hopefully they won't melt) for a half minute then pull them out. Provided there are no cracks in the plastic, that should do a decent job. It's not as good as doing a full boil with glass bottles, but I would be worried that the plastic would start to melt.

while i haven't boiled plastic water bottles before, i have boiled plastic aquarium plants, and a plastic breast pump (back when my kiddo was a baby). neither melted even after being in the boiling water for a couple minutes.

mind you, the plastic water bottles are a bit different plastic composite (seems 'softer' to me), so i agree with Peggy that a quick dip would be about all you want.

when Rhino had a plastic water bottle, i used soap to clean it and would rinse it until i was blue in the face, lol. i'm paranoid about soap residue too, and totally understand.

Back