Could he really sense what is going on?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikaia

Gonna keck your butt ;)
Hi guys.

I broke up with my boyfriend of five years two nights ago. It is devastating.
:( I told Tribble (1 yr old male) that morning that daddy was leaving. I was crying as I said that and he just kinda sat there looking at me. Well, this was yesterday morning. I didn't sleep at all the night before, so I went home early to get some sleep. This was around 3pm. I found my chinchillas sleeping and Tribble was looking oh, so depressed laying on his cuddle buddy. I didn't think anything of it because it was the middle of the day and he sleeps until the evening.

I went to my parents to eat dinner and watch a movie. I came home last night around 10pm and found him still laying there! I was kinda worried at that point. I gave him some of his herbal salad and he ate it. Then he took his dust bath. I thought he had perked up.

This morning I go in there and he is sleeping on his shelf (not unusual). His poops are pretty small. I gave him some alfalfa hay and he ate some of it. Should I be worried at this point? The only thing that has changed is the temperature has gone up in the room a little. It's around 69-70 in there instead of 67 (since it's warmer outside). Is there anything I can give him to maybe help his poops? Could he really be depressed and sense this situation? :( I don't know what I'd do if something happened to him.... :(

The picture attached was from last night.

Attachments

• tribble sad.jpg
    tribble sad.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 67
I'm kind of surprised you say " could he really be depressed" why wouldn't he be upset? His normal schedule and household has been upset. You are not acting normal, your boyfriend is not there, things are not the same, and it sounds like on account of it you are gone more and sleeping more. Spend extra play time with him, make sure he's eating

I will definitely do that. It's not really weird that he is showing this reaction and my other two girls are not. I am bonded to Tribble more so than the others. I know it seems stupid to ask that.. :( I guess both of us are in pain over this.

He looks so sad in the photo, I hope things get better for the two of you soon.

Even if it's simply a change in routine, chins love routine. Every chin is different and I'm going to guess that Tribble is more bonded to you as the girls have each other?

Each chin reacts differently to change. I know some breeders and ranchers don't let new people in their barns simply because it stresses the chins out. I think a lot of it has to do with temperament and what the chin is used to. I know of a chin who was sold from the breeder, the chin chewed at three other people's places, but once it was back to the original breeder's barn, it quit chewing and grew out.

Who knows really what's going on in Tribble's head? All you can do is make sure he stays ok and happy. Just watch out for him.

I'm sorry about your break up as well, that can be a really tough situation to get through, but you will--even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment!

Awww! Tribble looks so depressed! He's probably just mirroring your emotions. Boji and Nixi do that all the time with me, and they're the two that I'm the most bonded with. Once you feel better, spend more time with him, and develop a new routine, he'll probably perk right up. I do a lot of extra playtimes when I'm depressed. Watching them wall-surf always makes me laugh, even when I'm at my lowest. It could be therapeutic for you and Tribble as well. :))

So sorry to hear about your break up! They're never easy, but I hope you both feel better soon!

Thanks all for your comments.

Tribble still isn't really back to normal. I brought him to work with me on friday and gave him baby gas drops (I was told his small poop and low appetite could be gas). Well, he slept most of the day on friday and he did eat some hay in his carrier. This weekend, I saw him munch on a some hay and even eat a few pellets. He drank water and he came out for playtime friday and last night. He bounced around and looked like he was having fun. He started chewing his sticks, but he is sleeping more than usual. After playtime, he just sat on his shelf and went to sleep. His poops are small and there isn't as many of them.

I am going to get CC overnighted to me and start handfeeding him. Is there anything else I should do?

Just keep giving him extra lovins and talk about things with him.

I anthropomorphize my chins, as I feel that they REALLY DO understand things if they are told to them.

A very similar situation occurred with my boys when Baby died suddenly and unexpected. Mr. Whiskers was just as upset/depressed as I was. I told him everything, over and over and I let him sniff Baby's little body before I took him away to the vet. I told Whiskers that Baby would not ever be coming back. I swear he understood. We grieved together for quite some time. He finally perked up and got back to his usual self, although I could tell that he was lonely.

Give your baby some special attention and acknowledge how bad he feels. Good luck...it may take a little while.

I have an update on Tribble. Last night I was holding him and rubbing his tummy while on the computer. He seemed so content. I looked down and saw a whole pile of poops on my lap! I've never been so happy to see poop! He was pooping once every couple seconds at one point! They were still smaller than usual, but there were lots!!

Hopefully things get better from here on out :)

that is good news....sorry you are dealing with some hard issues.....I do agree pets do sense when we are going through a hard time but they also can cheer us up!!! I know when I have issues my pets are always there for me :) on my good days and bad

Back