Cosmetic Braces?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimichi

Have any of you ever had them? I plan on getting some after I pay of this current $3,000 dental debt of mine. It's something I've always wanted and would be a huge boost in my confidence so I don't mind spending $3-4,000 for them honestly. I was thinking about getting the Invisalign ones, but these seem to be just a tad cheaper and supposedly only take six months.

I'm actually hoping mine will be on the cheaper end considering my teeth are just gaped a little. They're not crooked or anything.

I'm in the process of getting braces (they go on in a month). I was given the option of Invisalign but I decided against it because it seemed like it would take a whole lot of commitment, is more expensive, and it also seemed like it would be very painful to pull on and off. My braces and dental work are coming to a total cost of nearly $10,000. I think it's worth it, and my parents offered to pay some of it ... Even though they paid the whole thing for my sister... Hmf.

I'm getting just the metal ones. I'm not sure if the cosmetic ones you're referring to are the clear wire holder thingies, but I've been told not to get them by several people because they stain extremely easily and become gross. A couple friends and my sister said they regretted not getting the metal thingies.

I had the metal ones and I HATED them. They give you a list of things you aren't allow. Gum, Ice, chips, etc. These things can knock a wire loose and it will poke you in the mouth really bad.

I couldn't eat anything but applesauce, yogurt, etc for about 2 days after each time they tightened them up. A friend of mine had the same issue.

I asked one of the ladies that works at my dentist, because he's an orthodontist as well, and she said it usually costs around $3,000-$4,000 but it depends on how many teeth you need banded together. Which is cheaper than just regular braces. I don't think I could afford $10,0000 since I don't have a job. So the cheaper the better. :[

The website says on average it only takes six months, I would assume it'd only take that long for me, but really I'm not sure. The only problem my teeth have are gaps, and they're relatively small. So I guess as far as staining goes at least they wouldn't be on too long. lol

Oh! These are the braces I'm talking about. http://www.6monthsmiles.com/

When straightening teeth there are two schools of thought-the correct solution will ensure that the teeth will have correct occlusion-this will produce the ideal anatomy and physiology of the teeth and bone or camouflage-just aligning the teeth so they look straight without correction of any occlusal discrepancies.

Most good orthodontists don't do camouflage treatments since they are prone to relapse and can lead to bite problems in the future, but like any field there are those that only care about money and will sacrifice correct treatment for fast profitable treatment. Most cases require follow up treatment in the future and in some cases require invasive treatment due to the occusal and TMJ problems that arise.

It can be perfect for simple cases where there is no bite discrepancy to begin with, but you have to get a dentist that is truthful about your situation and not sell you the product if you are not a "simple case".

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. I mean I kind of get it, but then again not really. lol

Are you saying that those braces are a bad choice or?

It means just because your teeth appear straight, doesn't mean they are aligned correctly which can give you jaw problems, problems with eating...my thought is if you are going to spend the money, get your teeth aligned correctly so they look nice and function correctly for you.

Oh. Well my upper and lower teeth have never touched, except for in the middle, so I don't think it'd be a problem if I got my front teeth straightened? I mean it's really just like my front four teeth on both top and bottom that have gaps so I'm not sure I see how just getting them pushed together can cause problems. Then again I don't really know much about it. I still need to talk it over with my dentist and go from there.

Though I'll definitely try to find the best way so that I don't have any problems in the future.

Even if you are not having tmj issues now, you could in the future. Your teeth really should be aligned properly. In doing so, they will also look cosmetically better.

I wonder if it's possible to have that done with those braces. There's no way I could afford $10,000 or more. :[

Hm. Well I'll talk it over with my dentist and see what he thinks. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Be careful with the "6-month" cures. Moving the teeth too fast can damage the jaw and connective tissue and lead to more painful teeth problems in the future. My mom has dentures now because her ortho moved her teeth too quickly and it wrecked her jaw to the point that it would not hold her teeth correctly.

Yikes. I didn't know such a thing could happen. D: I know sometimes it can take less than six months and sometimes it can take more. I suppose it depends on your teeth. It seemed like a harmless treatment more or less.

I think it usually takes around 2 years to move teeth...at least for my teen son. May be a little less time for you if not much movement is needed.

I wonder if the Invisalign ones work okay. I would assume they work the same way as regular braces, just clear.

Most orthodontists will give you a free consult visit. You could always get a consultation to find out what all will be involved for you to move your teeth, how long, and at how much cost. Then you know what you are working with and can go from there.

Perhaps I can do that Thursday when I go in to get some cavities filled. I appreciate all the advice and concerns! I think I'll definitely rethink my decision and see what the dentist has to say and go from there. Time isn't really a concern so much as the price is. So whatever will be best for my teeth as well as cost effective is probably the route I'll go down.

Back