Corn Starch as alternative to dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

I have read that corn starch can be used as an alternative to dust. How well does it clean and is it less likely to cause respiratory problems? Costwise is it more or less expensive than buying a big bag of blue cloud?

It would be more expensive. I have some customers that use it instead of chin dust because of allergies. However, it doesn't work very well. It sticks to the very surface of the coat and doesn't penetrate it very well. It works great if you mix a little in with the blue cloud. BUT, if you are showing chins, you probably shouldn't use it because of how it can mask red or yellow in the fur and make the chins look different. I think it is considered cheating to use before a show, but I could be wrong.

I use cornstarch with chins that have urine stains on them, it works well with whites...but I only put in a teaspoon with a cup of dust for those chins. It helps a great deal with whitening up bellies (especially rescues that haven't been dusted for a long time or were in dirty cages) and with white chins. I have never used it completely as an alternative for dust. I know there are places that sell large amounts of it, but it's more expensive than blue cloud, I believe.

Jess, I have used cornstarch before. It's heavier than blue cloud so it tends to fly less when the chins are dusting. Give it a try for your allergies, just don't be shocked when Buddy looks like a ghost for a bit afterwards.

just don't be shocked when Buddy looks like a ghost for a bit afterwards.

Haha! I know exactly what you are talking about! I let my ebony boy dust in cornstarch once because I had heard it can be an alternative to blue cloud. So, I tried it out of curiosity and he did come out looking like a ghost! It was so funny!:hilarious: I would say it worked alright, and in a pinch I would use it, but overall blue cloud does a better job in my opinion.

I have no doubt that dust will work better! My stupid allergies have me sneezing for 20 minutes after I have to cuddle him to force feed him, put his eye drops in, and give him his Baytril... I am miserable twice a day now! Good times...

Back