Cooling tricks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I live in a place with no ac only heating and ceiling fans. I plan on a tiled cage which should help and my parents have converted a mini fridge to a "room"(outer part outside cage leaving only the inside of fridge to wonder into) for a chin im getting this summer but any thing else i can do, since the place i live can get to 100+ some days?

So the mini fridge is plugged in? If so the condenser will burn out if it's open all the time, you would be better off and cheaper to just buying an AC unit for the room to provide a cool place for the chin. There really is no replacement for an AC for more then a couple hours, if you can't do a window unit were you live there are portable AC units you can buy. The only cooling tricks are for temporary fixes until you can get the temp back down into the safe range (70F or below). Ideally you want to keep the room around 68F that way if the AC goes out you have time to figure something out or buy a new AC before the temp gets too high. Tiles are really only good for additional cooling in an already cool room, like after the chin has been running around, and only "work" if the chin sits on them. Short term when it's hot you can change out tiles every half hour or so with ones from the fridge or freezer, as well as wrap water bottle in fleece and freeze them, changing them out for frozen ones as they melt. You would need to do that until the room is back down to 70F or below.

Hello, I live in a place with no ac only heating and ceiling fans. I plan on a tiled cage which should help and my parents have converted a mini fridge to a "room"(outer part outside cage leaving only the inside of fridge to wonder into) for a chin im getting this summer but any thing else i can do, since the place i live can get to 100+ some days?
Due to fire hazards our power gets shut off during out hot season alot as well so I ussually have granite slabs that I put in the freezer and switch fresh ones in and out. Make sure the water has ice in it to keep them cool. U can fill a jar with water and stick it in the freezer and then into the cage when it's freezes over. Make sure to wrap it in fleece tho. I recently got a allergy filter that blows cool air into the room so that definitely helps to keep the room cool. Honestly tho just getting an ac for that room is the safest option.

Back