Cooling off?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alatrye

So, I've been doing this for a couple months now and my chinchilla seems to Love it! In an effort to keep him cool when he's out and about, I open the door to my freezer and he hops right in! I leave him in there for a couple seconds to a minute and when I open the door to let him out, he's as happy as can be! I have never shoved him there, he just jumps in by himself. Does anyone else do this or have other methods to cooling off their chinchilla?

I would never shut the door and leave a chin in a freezer. Hypothermia can set in very quickly. Thats just my personal opinion...

seems quite risky imo. The harsh coolness that comes in direct contact with him (such as his feet) i would imagine could be problematic. If you've ever had your hand stuck to a freezer wall then you know what im talking about.

I had freaked out a few times when he did it himself, but he kept jumping in the moment we open the door to the refrigerator/freezer, but he's never in direct contact with the freezer floor or in the line of where the cold comes out. He's always at the bottom on top of a couple bags and I've almost closed the door on him when he rushes in to jump into the freezer or the refrigerator. Not sure how I can keep him from doing that, but he's still as happy as can be. :hmmm:

hmmmm I don't know dude that sounds kinda weird. And there is probably a lot of plastic freezer type bags in their too for them to chew on. I would worry about them coming in contact with something that would freeze their feet and closing them in there just can't get comfortable with that idea.

Don't shut the door and supervise closely. Chinchillas really enjoy cold objects sometimes like that, it won't hurt them....but don't ever shut a chin in the freezer. One thing that I have seen customers do because their chins love the cold is they fill up glass jars with ice cubes and allow the chins to snuggle against the jars. (wrapped in fleece or not.)

When chins are out running you have to watch them so closely no matter where they are....because they will chew on almost anything!

Back