Cookie is making strange noises.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's never been the loudest chin I've ever had but in the past 2 days she seems to be just making noises non stop.
They almost sound like a guinea pig squeak, but a little weaker.
She also seems to have trouble breathing, (She's breathing harder than usual)

Any Advice?

I would take her to the vet to be checked .
If it's a URI it can go down hill quickly.
Does it sound like weezing?
Any discharge?

I'm scheduling an appoinment atm, but they can't see her until later. :(

No discharge, it does sound like she's weezing.
She's still acting normal, eating hay, drinking water, poops are ok, she's grooming her self and all that jazz.
I tried to upload a video of her doing it but no work.
I'll try and show y'all

I have never had a chin an URI but that sounds like wheezing. I would get her to the vet asap because chins with URI's can go downhill fast. If she's been like that for a few days, she really needs to go soon.

Last edited:
i think your southern accent is adorable. But as for cookie, it sounds to me like a communication call, however; it does sound a bit breathey (if that is a word) and i would take her to an experienced exotics vet. especially if it came on suddenly.

You see thats what I'm thinking, because I'm wondering if she's going into heat.
She had her first kit recently and it passed (And please don't come at me with the baby crap I got her cage mate neautured too late and he had done the dirty deed)
This is the second time she's acting like she's going into heat since the baby.

Before we go, I would like to get an estimate on the UTI Vet cost bills, so I can somewhat get my mother pre-pared for the cost.

i have never had a chin with a UTI so i don't know. plus every area is different. i would assume the cost of a regular vet visit and meds. why not just call and ask??

It's URI- not UTI..they are two totally different things...

Upper respiratory infection and urinary tract infection....make sure you say the right one so the doctor doesn't give you an estimate on the wrong thing! ;)

That sounds like wheezing to me. like she is congetsted. Due you have a nebulizer around? My mom has one and much to her annoyance we have used it for the chinchillas before LOL. It can be a temporary help for chinchillas in respiratory distress

Actually yes, since everyone except my mom has allergies we have a nebulizer.

We've actually been giving her a minutes worth of breathing treatment every hour, and we got an appointment to a vet at 3;45 (30 minutes!) and it's 40 dollars just for the appointment.

Oh well, wish us luck, Ill keep everyone posted!

Back