constipated and wont eat pumpkin!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for all of your help. There are a few other vets in Indianapolis that I can try so luckily I haven't run out of options yet. After I saw him digging that day I immediately removed the bag so he hasn't had it since then. That's a really good idea about corduroy, that'll be my next project! And I tried papaya, and he doesn't seem to like it. Ugh he's such a picky eater. So far what he WON'T eat: boiled chicken, squash babyfood, sweet potato baby food, pumpkin, papaya, and bananas. haha. I've been sprinkling ground up Grapenuts on his food for added fiber and it does seem to be helping.

Kalandra, that's hilarious! I'm not surprised your hedgehog did that. As soon as I saw the main ingredients in it I said "Yeah, right!" No way would I give them that stuff. I'm pretty sure that's what they gave me when I bought Sookie and when I did the transition to her Blue Buffalo she immediately stopped eating it.

Lots of vets say cat food isn't appropriate for hedge hogs because cats are carnivores, and hedge hogs are not. As Kalandra told me...what you feed your hedge hog is up to you. Do your research and feed them the best stuff you can because junk can be really detrimental to a hedgehog.

The problem with hedgehog food is that the majority, and almost all that is readily available in pet stores are not appropriate for hedgehogs. They contain crap ingredients, or actually contain items that can be a problem (raisins, nuts). There have been hedgehogs whose death was contributed to the hedgehog food they were eating (vitakraft being one).

There are better hedgehog foods out there though, but you will likely have to special order them. Whether or not you use them, really all comes down to what you feel is the right thing to do. I've fed hedgehog food and I've fed cat food. I currently feed only high quality cat foods. My hedgehogs have not had any problems that we can contribute to their diet. Their quill coats are so shiny that the tips sparkle when light hits them.

Idk if this is good for them but if u put their wheel in the bath tub and fill it so i twould cover their legs in the wheel mine runs like crazy

Back