constant hair rings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxchincerelyxo

PM for pet portraits <3
So Stolie, my 8 yr old male, has never had issues with hair rings. Even when he was caged with Sambuca he never had any issues. Now all of a sudden-he is having hair rings. I don't mean like every few weeks or months, as in I have to check daily because every other time I look he has one. I have no idea why? He is priming right now, could that be the issue? Some of them are so bad that he cannot get them off himself (I've caught him trying a few times before I realized how constant the issue really was-and soon after assisted him). I just worry about it causing some sort of issue and was hoping that as long as I keep up with it it'll be fine. I check daily, have k-y on hand (have yet to need to use any) and haven't seen any signs of irritation.

Any ideas why this would pop up out of no where???

I have a young fella going thru a summery "shed" and constantly has fur rings right now. I check him every other day and he always has some sort of fur that needs removed. Maybe its just that time of year?
~Barb~

I also have a similar issue with one male that is about 6 years old. It has been a problem for months. He is always out a little now because of it. No matter what I have tried it does not seem to help, so I just check him every other day.

I think he started having the problem when he had a molar overgrow, but was not drooling so I did not know about it. The vet and I believe he could not properly clean himself so he kept getting hair rings. Even after having the tooth trimmed, it is a constant problem.

Is everything ok with your chins teeth?

My Male, Stitch was around 18 months old when he started developing recurring fur rings all of a sudden - much like yours. He was healthy and happy with no problems. It went on for months! Then all of a sudden, it stopped just as quickly as it had started !!
I suspect he is prone to them due to having quite long, dense fur. Even when on breeders advice, I clipped back the whole area, he still managed to get them.
It's as much as a mystery now as it was then. I was advised that sometimes, a Chin being run down can cause that to happen, so I vitamin supplemented him; but it made no difference.

It could be the loss of fur. Also, what type of bedding do you use, and is is a solid or wire bottomed cage?

Yep, that is what I was getting to with all my questions. Fleece or a solid floor seems to make hair rings much much worse, IMO. Shavings are actually the best, which seems weird.

he's on a wire floor with shavings under it. I'm guessing it's due to the hair loss...hopefully it'll clear up one of these days...but if not I'm going to keep checking daily.

His teeth are fine, actually had him at the vet not too long ago and she examined his teeth. I've seen him cleaning himself to get the rings off, but it's only the really large and tangled ones that he needs help with.

wow - I havent had this problem, so I feel for ya for having to worry about it so often. I have one guy who has one every month... and some that don't get them but every few months... I would hate to have to manhandle them every few days!! Hopefully it will resolve itself eventually!

Back