Considering getting a new animal, need opinions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churrnobyl

So lately I've been struggling with some certain things and I'd like to bring a new friend in the mix. I already have a chinchilla and he's great! Standard good boy, but I'd like to add to my little family. I'm considering either 1. adding a new chinchilla in the mix or 2. getting a couple rats. Now I know this forum isn't really a rat forum, but any advice helps. I've had my chinchilla for three years now (will be four years this October) so I understand age may be an issue that keeps him from accepting another chinchilla. And since he's been alone for so long, he may not like a new chinchilla. He has a very dominant outgoing personality, a sweet lil guy.
And obviously if I were to get rats they would be on the other side of the room and would have separate free roam periods, but still, I'd just like some opinions on which I should add to my family. I'd like to add that I have plenty of free time and patience when it comes to this.

So lately I've been struggling with some certain things and I'd like to bring a new friend in the mix. I already have a chinchilla and he's great! Standard good boy, but I'd like to add to my little family. I'm considering either 1. adding a new chinchilla in the mix or 2. getting a couple rats. Now I know this forum isn't really a rat forum, but any advice helps. I've had my chinchilla for three years now (will be four years this October) so I understand age may be an issue that keeps him from accepting another chinchilla. And since he's been alone for so long, he may not like a new chinchilla. He has a very dominant outgoing personality, a sweet lil guy.
And obviously if I were to get rats they would be on the other side of the room and would have separate free roam periods, but still, I'd just like some opinions on which I should add to my family. I'd like to add that I have plenty of free time and patience when it comes to this.
My first chinchilla spent all of her life alone until she was 4. She is super dominant and territorial and did not like the new chin at first. After a week they were completely bonded and are inseparable. I personally think its a great idea to get another chinchilla for urs to have a companion. My chinchillas are defiantly much happier being with each other. Itll prolly take more then a week to bond them but don't lose modivation

At only 4 I don't think age is an issue to accept another chin, at 4 he is like a human in their 30s. I would say too old would be a chin that has spent more then 10 years or so alone they probably have gotten too use to a life alone at that point. However personality does play a huge part in terms of if they will get along or not, just like two random humans may not get along two random chins might not. Bonding chins also takes time, first you want to quarantine the new chin in another room for 30 days, that allows the new one to settle in and for any illness to show up before exposing your chin. Then you can start slowly introducing them, putting their cages near each other, and once they are ok next to each other doing short play times together. The process can take anywhere from days to months, or even years if you stick with it that long. Always be prepared to end up with two cages though should things not work out.

As to getting rats instead, it depends on if that is what you want. The big drawback I see with rats is the much much shorter lifespan, I had rats growing up and loved them, but it was always heartbreaking that they only live a few years. Rats are a lot more social with humans though then most chins in general, so if you are looking for a pet that is going to be more into being held and cuddled rats might be better. Rat can also be easier then chins to bond with new ones down the line if one dies and you want to get another.

Also take into consideration that some deceases that are normal to get as a rat, can potentiolly kill a chinchilla, you can avoid this by having them in separate rooms and ofcourse clean hands. But it doesn't guarantee it.

I know of people that never had any trouble with it tho!

Back