Clicker Training Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NommyCakes

Is it possible to clicker train chinchillas? I was at petsmart purchasing a clicker and the lady asked what kind of dog I had. I replied with a laugh and said it was fo my chinchilla. She replied with a rude voice saying you can't train chinchilllas with a clicker. I said it was worth a shot and she literally said "no it's not" with a poor attitude. I bought the clicker anyway and she asked if I needed a caresheet. I sighed and left. so, is it possible to do so? If so I will go back to this store and show her my proof. I'm sorry about this rant but she didn't even bother giving me a chance.

Mine are voice trained, they did not need a clicker nor treats. Chinchillas are very smart and can be trained to do what you want.

If so I will go back to this store and show her my proof.
Good Luck! But don't bring the chin into a pet shop to show her, maybe show her a video. The chin would be nervous and I doubt it would perform outside of it's cage/play area. Plus the chance for escape and attack in a pet store is too high a risk.

Chinchillas are very repetitive creatures and easily trained using any of the classical conditioning methods. Be it clicker, voice, touch or food. You'll be amazed at the large variety of things they can learn. :))

As long as you properly load the clicker and randomly reinforce with food, you'll have success. If you could videotape her while you show her the video, that'd be great.

Ok! Thank you everyone. I will record a video. I am determined to do this. The lady didn't believe chinchillas could even be taught tricks. That's what really ticked me off.

IMO Petsmart employees don't know much/are taught wrong info to begin with, so when they hear information that is actually true, i'm surprised if any would believe it! lol.

Mine are all voice trained too. The only quasi-exception to that is that I needed a good, distinct "no" sound, as "NO!" wasn't working consistently. I made every weird vocal sound that I could think of. Ultimately, they all reacted to a sucking sound that I can make using the back of my tounge and my throat. I know, I'm weird... but when you have 4 chins turn around on a dime, stand straight up and face you like little soldiers, you stick with it! :)

That petsmart lady sounded really ignorant. I hope she wasn't their trainer! I've trained mine to go back to her cage after she's been out. I use a verbal "good" for a bridge instead of the clicker, but it works the same. I think if your chin doesn't already take treats, loading the clicker will be the hardest obstacle you might face. Any idea what you'd like to train? I can't wait to see the video!

IMO Petsmart employees don't know much/are taught wrong info to begin with, so when they hear information that is actually true, i'm surprised if any would believe it! lol.

couldnt agree more! jsut look at all the bad things they try to sell that are advertised to chins...

wow!! I didn't even think this was really possible for some reason! I have issues with Sesame trying to recognize her own name, but most of the time she will respond with "dust bath," "treat," and "stick" voice commands. Most of the time "no" works, but I think the main issue I have is consistency on my behalf.

Can anyone link the clicker videos or any other videos they have of behavior training their own chinchilla? This is really interesting!!

Just a note to anyone who doesn't want to buy a clicker, you can always use those bottle tops/caps that click. I'm planning to use that when training my puppy, and I'm sure it'll work just as well. :)

NayNayBeluga's YouTube Channel was linked to earlier this year from this thread and is still the best that I've seen to date. That thread also details the process a lot more for those who are interested. Like most of the posters on the thread, I'd definitely advise against using raisins as a reward. My guys respond perfectly well with "good boy" and "good girl".

Back