Cleaning Under Liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

In two weeks or so my boys will be getting a completely new cage. It'll come with a fleece liner to cover the 2nd floor pan. When doing weekly cleaning and changing the liner, is using Clorox wipes on the pan safe if it'll be completely covered by the liner, or would the 50/50 vinegar and water solution work just as well?

Do not use any cleaner with chemicals in for your cage, or anywhere near your chinchillas. A vinegar and water mix is adequate. You will need to change your liner more than once a week. I've just Googled Clorox Wipes and they, or anything remotely like them would be extremely harmful to your chinchillas, especially being lemon scented.

Do not use any cleaner with chemicals in for your cage, or anywhere near your chinchillas. A vinegar and water mix is adequate. You will need to change your liner more than once a week. I've just Googled Clorox Wipes and they, or anything remotely like them would be extremely harmful to your chinchillas, especially being lemon scented.
How often should I change the liner?

Vinegar should be good enough unless your chins are ill or something, and even then you'd have to make sure to rinse down the pans after. Vinegar is a natural antibacterial and it neutralizes ammonia. The only thing I also use from time to time on bad stains is Natures Miracle spray, it seems to cut through the pee stains better if I allow it to soak.

If they don't pee in a litter pan, or have accidents you need to change the fleece at least twice a week (some people change it every couple days), if they use the litter pan once a week should be ok.

Back