Cleaning Heater

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

So, there's a wall heater in my chin room that I use on the lowest setting just to keep the humidity as low as I can during nighttime since I shut the dehumidifier off when I go to bed. However, I have no idea when it's been cleaned, definitely not in the past few years. As most heat-giving electronic things are, when cleaned and turned on again the heater will probably give off a burnt smell for a couple hours. I'm worried that my chins' health will be at risk because of this, but if I don't clean the heater the chance of a fire is increased since it's so filthy. The heater is about two feet away from the cage and it doesn't blow the warm air directly on the cage. (Cage is at the back wall, heater is on the left side wall.) Advice?

Why would you need to turn on a heater in your chin room Zahrii? It is heat, not cold that chinchillas suffer from. I cannot understand how a heater would decrease humidity. Would it not be more prudent to run the dehumidifier 24/7 if required.

Why would you need to turn on a heater in your chin room Zahrii? It is heat, not cold that chinchillas suffer from. I cannot understand how a heater would decrease humidity. Would it not be more prudent to run the dehumidifier 24/7 if required.
The heater has proven to turn off at 68 degrees F which it never gets to at this season. It's low to the ground, and when turned on it helps keep the humidity at bay during the night since it release warm, dry air and the humidity gathers at around floor level. I know chinchillas suffer from heat, and I would never put them in danger. Without the heater being on at night, the humidity jacks up to dangerous levels. I don't like the idea of running something high power such as the dehumidifier when I'm not around, which is why I turn it off when I go do errands and when I go to bed. The heater doesn't run constantly and turns off on it's own since it's on the lowest possible setting. I also have an AC, but it raises the humidity drastically so I only use it during warmer months. The chin cage also has tiling that's naturally cool, and during warmer seasons I provide a granite stone that has been chilled in the fridge as well as making sure the temp never goes above 68 degrees. Thank you for your input though.

Last edited:
Back