Cleaning fleece liners and potty training supplies...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shieldmaidenjen

Hello everyone!

I have a few questions for y'all now that I have my Ferret Nations set up.

A. How do you wash your fleece liners? Do you use the washer and detergent or what? If you use detergent, what's a safe brand?

B. I am going to try and potty train the chins... we will see how well this one works out. :p I am planning on putting "used" bedding in a glass baking pan and using fleece liners to see how things go.

My question: how big should the glass baking pan be? Does anyone use a specific one that I can order off of the Internet or get at Walmart?

Thank you!
Jenn

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyrex-Sto...-Storage-Dish-with-Red-Plastic-Cover/17479021

I have one like that, I got the cheaper brand though, it was around $5. I like the storage containers rather than the baking dishes because I can push it all the way up to the edge of the cage and they are less likely to miss that way. I also have one that is actually a square bowl about 4"x4" that works well too. Try to put the dish or dishes in the corners that they normally pee in.

As far as washing the fleece, I use my regular laundry soap and a half a cup of white vinegar. You can dry them in the dryer or on the line, but don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets, it will make the fleece not absorbent.

A. I shake the fleece into a trashcan outside to get ride of any hay, poop, bedding, ect on it then just throw it into the washer with her other fleece. I usually have a hammock, tube cover, cube, pillow, and a dirty towel and large piece of fleece to wash. I usually wash it right away, depending on how long I can go without a full cleaning. I use whatever detergent we have, I never thought of getting anything special for chin laundry. I like to use a cup or so of white vinegar in with the load.

B. As for the size of a the glass baking dish, use whatever size you can get. I have a medium and a small one in my chins cage. The medium is probably around 6"x8" and the small one is small enough to fit into it for storage. Don't worry about finding the prefect size; as long as it fits the shelve or area you're putting it in, it'll be fine!

Good luck with potty training him, hope it goes well! :)

I also do as jess32247 (A) mentioned above, only I have 11 chins so I take a couple of garbage bags full of the soiled liners to a laundromat.

I also just wash my liners with reg Tide and throw them in the dryer. If they are stinky, I put some vinegar in the washer.

Hehe, thank you all (especially Shooper for making the fleece liners!)! Today begins potty training! I am starting with the oldest pair since they might be the most difficult.

Here they are right after I put in the liner and a "wee wee" pan with some bedding they'd peed in. (Forgive lack of decorations in FN; most of their toys are on the top.)

21dg0w2.jpg

I use the non-scented sensitive skin type detergent since that's what I use and vinegar. I shake the liners out as much as I can prior to washing. Hope the training is successful!

I haven't been on here for a while and I am suprised at some of the answers! A couple years back most people were recommending to not use regular laundry detergent. I think the suggestion was some vinegar or a "green" detergent instead. The common thought was the scents and chemicals in regular detergent might not be good for the chinchillas.

I shake my liners off outside then do a pre rinse and a heavy load wash with a green detergent. Sometimes it is Nellies sometimes it is off brand 7th Generation.

for potty training it should be pretty easy. Most chins choose a corner and mostly pee there so just make sure you put the potty pan there. I have a variety of potties that I use in the cages. I have some custom made metal corner litter pans, 2 metal baking pans, and 1 ceramic dish.

The baking pans I got at walmart but they look like this http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Recipe...TF8&qid=1367799125&sr=8-8&keywords=baking+pan

The ceramic dish I have looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Corni...64&sr=1-4&keywords=corelle+square+baking+dish .

I have a question to add. I've seen the recommendation to use soiled bedding in the pan. If the chins are difficult to train there won't be any "used" bedding left after I change to the liners. Should I keep a big bag of it or do they typically get the idea when you change over to fleece?

I would say with 3 chins you have a good chance even if 1 doesn't get it that someone will ( I didn't have issues, although sometimes mine goes on the liner or hammock) When you switch I'd take some of the soiled bedding and put it in the pan. Throw the rest out.

Back