Chins teeth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channeltool

Hi, I noticed my chin was not himself and not eating that much, this was a year ago. I took him to the vet and was diagnosed with diaphragmatic hernia. I was syringe feeding him critical care and he get metacam twice a day. But I noticed him eating his pellets. I wasn't too concerned about his eating habits. About a month ago I gave him apple sticks and he couldn't chew them. I took him to the vet yesterday and she said his incisors were a tad grown out but not enough to prevent him from eating. She filed them but told me she couldn't get an accurate look at his molars without putting him under. I said let just do the incisors and see how he is. I tried to give him pellets today but he took them broke them in half and dropped them. that is what his pellet dish looks like, most of the pellets look like they have been broken in half. So is my next step filing the molars or does it take them a while to start eating on their own again if I start backing off the critical care. My vet suggested to keep syringe feeding him but try getting him to eat his hay and pellets. Thank you

It's not uncommon for them to have sore teeth or mouth after having teeth filed, kind of like if you ever have had work done at the dentist. I would give him a couple days to see if he improves, it should take less then a week though. If he isn't trying to eat his pellets and hay again by then I would take him back in to have them take a look at the molars to make sure nothing is going on with them. If they look good the next step would be x-rays to rule out root growth. If he hasn't been eating his hay much the molars aren't going to be getting worn down much at all which can result in overgrown teeth, tooth spurs, and even over grown to the point of curling over and trapping the tongue which can make eating and chewing uncomfortable.

It's not uncommon for them to have sore teeth or mouth after having teeth filed, kind of like if you ever have had work done at the dentist. I would give him a couple days to see if he improves, it should take less then a week though. If he isn't trying to eat his pellets and hay again by then I would take him back in to have them take a look at the molars to make sure nothing is going on with them. If they look good the next step would be x-rays to rule out root growth. If he hasn't been eating his hay much the molars aren't going to be getting worn down much at all which can result in overgrown teeth, tooth spurs, and even over grown to the point of curling over and trapping the tongue which can make eating and chewing uncomfortable.
Thank you, I will wait to see if he starts eating his pellets.

Thank you, I will wait to see if he starts eating his pellets.
Hi, if a chins teeth are filed for minor growth, will they start to eat pellets and hay on their own again. Or is there a method to use so your chins starts to eat on their own. Thank you

They should start eating pellets and hay on their own once the pain is gone, assuming the filing fixed the problem. You can try spacing out the feedings of the CC so he starts to get more hungry between feedings and see if that is enough to get him to start eating pellets and hay again.

They should start eating pellets and hay on their own once the pain is gone, assuming the filing fixed the problem. You can try spacing out the feedings of the CC so he starts to get more hungry between feedings and see if that is enough to get him to start eating pellets and hay again.
I had to take him back to the vet so she could file his molars. His teeth on one side were digging into his cheek she said there was scar rissue. He is on metacam and an anitbiotic. He was taking the food up until 2am but only about 10cc. I tried to feed him this morning around6am but he would not take his food. My husband got only 6cc into him. How do i get him to take the syringe? When I was syringe feeding him before he took it on his own. Would the antibiotic prevent him from wanting to eat? Thanks

I had to take him back to the vet so she could file his molars. His teeth on one side were digging into his cheek she said there was scar rissue. He is on metacam and an anitbiotic. He was taking the food up until 2am but only about 10cc. I tried to feed him this morning around6am but he would not take his food. My husband got only 6cc into him. How do i get him to take the syringe? When I was syringe feeding him before he took it on his own. Would the antibiotic prevent him from wanting to eat? Thanks
It's pretty common (like almost always) for antibiotics to cause them to not want to eat. Did they give you any probiotics to give with the antibiotics? If not you might want to get some, bene-bac PETAG Bene-Bac Plus FOS & Probiotics Gel Supplement (Free Shipping) | Chewy is the one I've heard of the most, give it about an hour or two after the antibiotics to help replenish the good bacteria. You can also try doing feedings before giving the antibiotics so he has food in him before you give them if you aren't already doing that.

Another trick you can try if he still wont eat after getting probiotics, is dip the tip of the syringe in something tasty, like rub a raisin on it or a bit of apple juice for example. To be clean do not give him the raisin or apple juice, just rub enough on the tip to give it a flavor that can often make a chin want to put the syringe in their mouth.

It's pretty common (like almost always) for antibiotics to cause them to not want to eat. Did they give you any probiotics to give with the antibiotics? If not you might want to get some, bene-bac PETAG Bene-Bac Plus FOS & Probiotics Gel Supplement (Free Shipping) | Chewy is the one I've heard of the most, give it about an hour or two after the antibiotics to help replenish the good bacteria. You can also try doing feedings before giving the antibiotics so he has food in him before you give them if you aren't already doing that.

Another trick you can try if he still wont eat after getting probiotics, is dip the tip of the syringe in something tasty, like rub a raisin on it or a bit of apple juice for example. To be clean do not give him the raisin or apple juice, just rub enough on the tip to give it a flavor that can often make a chin want to put the syringe in their mouth.
Thank you

I went through the same thing with a chinchilla and antibiotics can suppress the appetite. They can die from anorexia due to that. My vet eventually gave a medicine to stimulate appetite to get my chinny eating again. He was refusing to eat anything.
Might be worth asking about if it gets bad. I also made little soft squares out of ground up pellets and critical care mixed with warm water. My chinny would hold those and eat but he hated that syringe lol
It was a pain but until he was healed up (he had a tooth trimming and the vet nicked his cheek leaving a sore that became infected).
Yes I changed vets!
I hope it gets better soon. Lots of great advice here. I love this site.

I've never had a chin go off feed with antibiotics, other than with Baytril (enrofloxacin). Trimethoprim sulfa can occasionally make them drink less, but doesn't affect their eating at all. trying to think what else I've had to give, but it's been quite a while and I can't remember!

I've never had a chin go off feed with antibiotics, other than with Baytril (enrofloxacin). Trimethoprim sulfa can occasionally make them drink less, but doesn't affect their eating at all. trying to think what else I've had to give, but it's been quite a while and I can't remember!
That is awesome that you never had to deal with it. I only ever had the one chinchilla with an issue that led to antibiotics. I have had several chinchillas the last 25 years and all were very healthy. Thankfully!
We have a wonderful vet that has pet chinchillas himself. He is very knowledgeable.
We really lucked out in finding him.
My guy only needed the appetite stimulant for a few days and he went back to eating.

That is awesome that you never had to deal with it. I only ever had the one chinchilla with an issue that led to antibiotics. I have had several chinchillas the last 25 years and all were very healthy. Thankfully!
We have a wonderful vet that has pet chinchillas himself. He is very knowledgeable.
We really lucked out in finding him.
My guy only needed the appetite stimulant for a few days and he went back to eating.
My chinchilla does not want to take his syringe food. I have to force it in his mouth. I feel his inside mouth which was infected from his teeth is still the culprit. He is on metacam and reglan because his poops are very small and few. What is the appetite stimulant? Thanks

The one time I had to syringe feed it took me some tries to realize my chin would only take food if it had a very particular texture. He hated when critical care was too liquid and runny. If I made it into a paste he could eat almost like spaghetti right off the syringe, he would eat it. Mind that my boy did not have teeth issues, just unwell.

Also mind the flavor of the critical care. Mine hated the anise flavor but even when he wasn't feeling great the apple-banana seemed to perk him up.

I have also read that some chins absolutely hate the syringe, but will take the critical care if offered on a spoon or a bit more solid made into a paste or little balls.

My chinchilla does not want to take his syringe food. I have to force it in his mouth. I feel his inside mouth which was infected from his teeth is still the culprit. He is on metacam and reglan because his poops are very small and few. What is the appetite stimulant? Thanks
Sorry I have been in the hospital for a bit. This was a few years ago and I am having trouble remembering the name but I think it was
Mirtzapine? It is used in cats. It worked after only 2 doses. He went from anorexia to wanting to eat.
He also hated the syringe feedings. I would instead grind up pellets and mixed with Critical Care and just enough warm water to form little balls of that for him to hold and eat.
Once he healed up he went back to normal eating.
I hope you have some good luck with your little one.

Back