Chins talking to each other?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MochasChins

Hello! I'm new here, not a new chinchilla owner. I started out with two chinchillas, both male, standard grey, Butters and Dougie. Everything was perfectly fine until one day Dougie passed. Butters was so depressed, he wouldn't let us pet him anymore. Just kacked. We bought a baby boy and named him Timmy. He's such a sweet baby! Too little to house with Butters, I had them seperated to quarantine him for a few months. Eventually I split Butters' 2x2x5 foot cage in half so Timmy got the top half and Butters got the bottom. I'm going to let Timmy grow up this way in hopes of him getting along with Butters in the future. They met once, Butters did not like him and now Timmy is scared. They both got ringworm, were seperated, have been treated and are in the same setup again. Since being together again I've been hearing noises.... They will not make them when I'm around, they're in a wallway with the door always open.. I hear a low woo woo noise and then a higher pitch woo woo noise in response. The lower noises are more often, I suspect they are Butters? Are they just talking to each other or is someone upset? Timmy seems happy and likes his chin rubs as normal. Butters also seems happy and enjoys his head pets as normal too. I just want to make sure nobody is stressed out!! Thanks!

They might be talking to each other, it's not uncommon for chins to chat with each other, even if they don't get along. Here is a site that lists some sound clips, maybe you can match up the sound, I know it can be hard to describe exact noise sometimes. :) Chinchilla Sounds

Timmy makes the "defenseless chin" noises occasionally, but honestly none of them describe how either of them sounds all the time. I think they may just be talking, they can't see each other so it kind of makes sense. Thank you!

Back