chins playing with other pets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlechinta

do you think that if you have a dog cat bird ect and you know they are friendly would you let you chin play with them thinking its safe or not take the chance

Chins are too fragile. Their ribs are like toothpicks, their skin is so thin even my vet didn't want to shave a cut. No, don't ever do it.

chinchillas should not be allowed to play with other pets....keep them apart it is not safe

I have a registered therapy dog, she works mostly with autistic children, and I would trust her with my life. However I wouldn’t allow her to "play" with my chins. She is the gentlest dog I know, but still there are too many possibilities- including the chance of disease. There are too many what ifs involved for me, too much risk.

Also remember that many of our other animals(dogs/cats/ferrets/etc.) are predators, it only takes once when their natural instincts kick in.

way too fragile and even if you think your other pets are kind and gentle no matter what most animals are out for prey which chinchillas are. A cut from a cat or scratch from a cat can be deadly to a chin. I small bat from a strong dog paw or a bite from a dog can be deadly to a chin.

It's best to keep chins with chins or alone.

My cats are kept away from the rooms where my chins are. I'm extra careful about making sure the doors are closed at all times so they can't get in. I don't want to take any chances. Especially since Sasha is still a kitten and would definitely love to go after them.

Chins don't get along with other chins, why take a chance with another species and someone getting hurt or killed.

There are many people out there who believe that chins/rabbits/cavies/other small animals can play together. To each their own, but I do not believe it is safe and would not advocate for anyone else to do it. Also, rabbits can silently carry diseases that can pass to your chinchilla. I wouldn't take the risk.

Why would you allow any caged animal to play with another species? I don't let my rats play with my birds, my chins, my degu, my ferrets, my bearded dragon. Why would I allow my chins?

Birds can carry diseases. Bearded dragons can carry diseases. Rabbits can carry diseases. Cats can carry diseases. Why would anybody want to risk their pets life, knowing that there is a possibility of disease?

I have THE most gentle rottweiler on the planet. If you look at her she screams and runs. She will lay still and let a child crawl across her and she loves any and all animals. I still would not allow her to roam freely (intentionally) with any pocket pet. I know she would never bite them or hurt them intentionally. But when she spazzes because the bird screams or the town siren goes off, and she stomps on one of them as she runs by, how crappy would I feel because I knew better and let it happen anyway?

I don't even let my chins play with one another. None of my other pets are allowed in the chin room and the rescues all have playpens blocking off their cages.

i get not letting them play with othe animals its to unsafe i keep my in a close room and make sure our cats are out side i dont want any harm to my babys

I tend to keep my cats and the dog out of the chinchilla room. You never know if someone got out or will get out.

My cats have never shown any interest in my chinchillas, but I would NEVER let them "play" together because, honestly, it wouldn't be playing - unless you count "playing with your food" as "playing". I wouldn't even hold a chin up to a cat to let him/her sniff her. Too much could happen too fast, and to me, it's not worth it.

One of my chins has taken to my 100lb dog! Through the cage, of course! The dog wags his tail and sniffs the chin then tag/peek-a-boo is on! Its hilarious! I never knew chins would take so much interest and be so playful with a dog! So funny to watch!

While I do not let my other animals "play" with the chins, I don't keep them completely isolated either. The dogs and cats have access into the chin room where the chins are in their cages. I firmly believe that because the animals aren't totally restricted, they have had opportunities to learn proper behavior. The dogs and cats know not to bark, lunge, swat at, or otherwise harass the chins.

On occasion we have had escapes. With training, the dogs and cats have learned to leave the critters alone. We have even had a chin escape and roam free for an entire week without mishap when we were out of town!

Now, before people bash me for the potential for disaster, let me just say that proper training diminishes the chance of fatality. It does not completely eradicate it.

No matter what amount of training you think you have, ANIMALS are ANIMALS and there is no way unless you speak animal you can predict any animals behavior and it is irresponsible when you say you know there is a risk of fatality and you STILL allow it to happen, post remarks like you have prepare to be bashed by those of us who would never put out pets at risk and you being a breeder I find that very disturbing your attitude.

On occasion we have had escapes. With training, the dogs and cats have learned to leave the critters alone. We have even had a chin escape and roam free for an entire week without mishap when we were out of town!

Dang, Whimsy! How did the chin get food? Did he chew through a hay bag or something? LOL

I can't really comment on any of this, because I only have three chins as my pets. If I did have any other pets, it would probably be a cat and I probably wouldn't let them into my chin room. All the cats I have owned in the past have been avid hunters. :p

No matter what amount of training you think you have, ANIMALS are ANIMALS and there is no way unless you speak animal you can predict any animals behavior and it is irresponsible when you say you know there is a risk of fatality and you STILL allow it to happen, post remarks like you have prepare to be bashed by those of us who would never put out pets at risk and you being a breeder I find that very disturbing your attitude.

Relax
The chins are safely in their cages and training takes place with them contained. I said I don't restrict access to the chin ROOM. I never claimed to encourage the animals to interact freely.

When you went out of town for a week did someone come in to check on the animals daily? I'm assuming so, but with you saying the chin was out for a week it has me more than a little concerned. I don't go out of town really for this reason, but if I need to I always find someone to come by daily to check food/water/etc.

Back