Chins not using wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizcschwab

So I bought one of the large flying saucers for my chins to use, but it has now been about 2 months and they still haven't used it (that I've seen). When I first put it in they were curious and would hop onto it, but then it would move and that seemed to scare them and they would hop off and run away. Now they don't even get on it. Pretty much the only thing they are using it for right now is to hide behind. Anyone have any suggestions about getting them to use the wheel?

maybe move it to the other side of the age? maybe it's not where they want it. also, make sure it's properly attached. if it isnt, it might make too much noise and they wont want to use it.

some are more active on wheels then others. Many of mine only tend to run on them when im not in the room (i can hear it sometimes.) They all hide behind it tho. Its a secondary safe spot for them.

My chinchilla never used her flying saucer wheel, just kind of hopped on and off of it quick every once in awhile. I eventually just took it out of her cage. I plan on buying her a more vertical wheel to see if she would like that kind better! Maybe you could do the same?

Hope that helps!! :)

Some chins just don't like the flying saucers. Maybe try to trade someone the saucer for a Chin Spin, or just purchase one. I had a boy that was the same way, bought a Chin Spin and he loved that thing.

My pair wouldn't touch the flying saucer either, they were scared of being on surfaces that moved. (They wouldn't even use free hanging hammocks. Elena still won't.) I think it just depends on the chin. I gave their wheel to Cloud who was happily running in the first hour it was in his cage. Yours might prefer the upright wheel though. It's worth a shot.

Back