Chins learning behaviors from another chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

My boy Terrance has started digging under his fleece liner to sleep under it. In the year I have had him, he has always been on fleece. He never expressed this behavior before this week. When he was housed with Phillip neither of them did this. Terrace is now housed with a four month old kit, Jett. Jett began digging under the liners last week. I'm wondering if I can make them stop doing this? Im going to weigh the corners down with toys and see what happens :p

Sigh, Rutherford exhibits the same frustrating behavior. It's very annoying... I've had to buy new fleece liners just to curb him from digging underneath the liners and flinging everything everywhere.

For him, weighing things down does not deter him at all. He's gotten into the habit of dragging and pushing all the furniture away from the place he wants to dig up. Getting so strong! I hope you have better luck!

(By the way, Terrance is such a cute name!)

I tried putting weights down, but that didn't work either, so I resorted to using safety pins for the fleece underneath the trays. It seems to do the job. Just be sure they can't reach them to be safe.

I don't think there's really anyway to stop them from doing the behavior, but there are ways to make them unable to do so, like you said weighing down the corners, and also putting in more things for them to play with, or maybe a bed? I know that PetSmart has a little animal bed that my girls just love. It's called All Living Things Small Animal Bed. And it may discourage them to want to sleep under their fleece. And if that doesn't work, you could maybe get tunnels made out of PVC pipes and lined with fleece. That could simulate them going under the fleece and make them stop digging it up. I've never had that problem since I don't use fleece, but it's just a few ideas. :)

I know that PetSmart has a little animal bed that my girls just love. It's called All Living Things Small Animal Bed.

that bed is not chin safe. the materials are not fleece and if a chin where to chew it, the strands from the fabric could be ingested and cause terrible issues - impaction, or even worse, the strands could be wrapped around organs in the digestive system.

the only safe chin fabric is fleece, due to the way it comes apart if chewed. that being said, if your chin is a fleece chewer, it is not safe to have fleece in their cage.

Back