Chins attempt to chew on my fingernails.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

Whenever I put my hand in the cage, my chins try to nibble on my fingernails. I don't let them, but I was just wondering if this is something I should be worried about or if they're just being chinchillas?

This is perfectly normal grooming behaviour and nothing to worry about. All my chins do this, also hair, clothing and fingers.

It's nothing to worry about, my chinchilla loves to chew on my fingernails all the time and it probably doesn't help that I like to keep them long. And as the person above said, they will also chew other things. Mine also loves to do that but she loves my nails and clothing more than my hair and fingers though she still tries to chew on them at times. I don't generally let her chew on any of them but it doesn't stop her from trying, heh. Well actually if she chews on my fingers I let her since she will stop doing so automatically if I don't do anything about it.

Mine also like to chew on my fingernails, especially my male chin. Also Fingernails. And one day they thought my hair is to long and bit off a strand of hair. Of course I shooed them away.

my rescued chin is my first so I don’t know if all chins are like this but mine checks out EVERYTHING by giving it a nibble. He has never hurt me or eaten what he puts in his mouth but he nibbles my fingers, shirt, shoes cell phone, nose, ears even my eyelids.
being all by himself, makes me feel special, like he sees me as family to groom me so thoroughly.

Back