Chins and the dog water.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chin in the wild are not drinking from sitting water sources where a dog that has recently licked is own anus has drunk either.

The mountains where chins come from are pretty much deserts, so no they don't get drenched often.

^ agreed. However it's also been said many times that chins have been domesticated for so many generations that our pets are a far cry from those in the wild. Our pets would not be able to survive in the wild.

I also wonder that perhaps even though you can get their waterbottle to work, perhaps they are having issues with it? Have you tried getting a different bottle and putting it on their cage?

This happened to me earlier this year. The bottle would kind of work if I manipulated it, but Lily could get it to work. I had to buy a new bottle for her. Now, per a forum member's suggestion, I keep 2 bottles in the cage incase one stops working.

I also keep 2 bottles in the cage just to play it safe. I don't let my dogs or their stuff near my chins also to be safe. I would keep an eye on their stool, if it's light brown and round they are not hydrated, but if it's oval and dark they are.

It bothers me that they seem frantic to look for water, its not a normal chin thing to look for anything frantically. I would investigate it further by putting a water bowl in their cage just prior to play and see if they are attracted to it.

I wouldn't call it 'frantic'. Frantic would be the mad dash they make as soon as they hear the dust bath hit the floor. THATS crazy! :laughitup: Its appears more like a conditioned responce, but what do I know.

I also wonder that perhaps even though you can get their waterbottle to work, perhaps they are having issues with it? Have you tried getting a different bottle and putting it on their cage? Or monitoring their water intake from the bottle by marking the side of the bottle with tape and seeing if it goes down in a day/night?

Yes water bottle level drops regularly. Does not appear to be ALL dripping out on the ground. I will look closer as I tend to refill it often, even if it needs it or not.

I also keep 2 bottles in the cage just to play it safe. I don't let my dogs or their stuff near my chins also to be safe. I would keep an eye on their stool, if it's light brown and round they are not hydrated, but if it's oval and dark they are.

I have a second bottle, and will add it as well. The water level goes down regularly, and there is usualy a drop or two on the floor that I see from 'drippage'. The stool is definatly oval and dark. I can't miss that, its all over the place!

Thanks for all the concern, we appreciate it. I'm hoping its just a 'water fetish' they have. :dance3:

I'm hoping its just a 'water fetish' they have. :dance3:
Knowing chins it is probably just the novelty factor. Wait until you try telling them they can't go somewhere & try blocking off access to something & then see what happens...... ;)

I'd try another type of bottle and see if they respond better to it even if the other one is working. I have one Edstrom Water Buddy and 2 of the Lixit bottles, and I'm about to try this one by Nivek: http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/nivek12.jpg

Crash had used a valve bottle before I got YouBe and Nova, but the new boys never had, so I put two Lixit bottles into the cage when they moved. But while they were together, they all drank from the Water Buddy exclusively (which made me mad b/c I bought one brand new and the little turds totally ignored it!). I'm getting the other valve-type bottle to see if Crash prefers that to a ball sipper tube, and if I like it I might just get a second and keep a Lixit as backup only.

And Im with you being a newbie. This might be my 2nd post?

I have a peke. And a couple chins. My dog goes into the vet twice a year, is an indoor dog, and is fully up to date on everything a dog needs from heartguard to toothbrushing. Including anything Zoonotic diseases.

I have no problem with my chins curling up on the couch with my dog. I have no problem with my dog sticking his nose in their dust because he thinks it smells different. (and for the record, blue cloud on a pekingese does nothing for THAT coat)

I dont think I would have a problem if all my boys were to share a water dish. Chins dont get nice neat bottles out in the wild. Somehow they manage to not get drenched in their natural environment.

So I would say use common sense, practical knowledge, and enjoy your chinnies.

It doesn't matter how clean and healthy your dog is, fact is your dog isn't effected by the germs he carries, but to you chinchilla it can be deadly. Also you said he is a pekingnese, if you haven't noticed they sneeze a lot. Then they lick their nose with the very same tongue they use to drink. Not only that but when mine sneezes she gets snot mist on her face, then she licks her foot, then scratches. It's a deadly game you're playing, and no matter how cute it may be to see them cuddle, it's not worth the risk IMO.

Knowing chins it is probably just the novelty factor. Wait until you try telling them they can't go somewhere & try blocking off access to something & then see what happens...... ;)

Oh you were not kidding were you! I took the water away tonight and they were just AWFUL! Its like a kid throwing a tantrum. :hair:

They would chew on stuff they never touched before. We would 'shoosh' them away and they would just COME back time and time again, I swear they were doing it in retaliation! Then they started going for the power cord for my wifes phone charger, OVER and OVER!! We became their jump on play toy and they would just seem like two 3 year olds not getting ice cream or something! It was the longest hour every, stopping them over and over. :err:

On a side note, I added a second water bottle when we got them settled in their cage. They BOTH drank from them for about 10 minutes. I'm going on a new water bottle hunt tomorrow.

Try giving them something new to play with next play time like a box with a few holes for them to crawl in. I'd imagine that would make them forgive you.

I know what you're saying about "looking" for the water bowl. I think they get programmed when you have the same toys etc in their area and look to "find" regular things. I know if I move something that is normally there during playtime, my chinnie will "look" for it to be in the same place.

But yes, no bueno on the sharing of water dishes. Dogs are gross. I have one. They eat anything and lick anything :)

Oh you were not kidding were you! I took the water away tonight and they were just AWFUL! Its like a kid throwing a tantrum. :hair:

They would chew on stuff they never touched before. We would 'shoosh' them away and they would just COME back time and time again, I swear they were doing it in retaliation! Then they started going for the power cord for my wifes phone charger, OVER and OVER!! We became their jump on play toy and they would just seem like two 3 year olds not getting ice cream or something! It was the longest hour every, stopping them over and over. :err:
Its ok, they'll have you well trained in no time. :rofl:

Last edited:
Then they started going for the power cord for my wifes phone charger, OVER and OVER!!

Aside from the water dish issue, it needs to be said that you really need to chinnie-proof whatever area you are using for out of cage playtime, as it's apparent that you hadn't/haven't.

That is hilarious that they retaliated. They are so intelligent, but comical at the same time. They do love their dust baths. I have a large weaning cage for the baby boys and they do not like to take turns so I just turned their whole large wood house upside down and put the dust in there. They all crammed into it at once and didn't even have room to roll around, but nobody was willing to get out!

Back