Chins and herpes.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo24

I'm a bit shocked that chins can contract herpes! I had no idea! I have two different people in my life who are around my chins frequently. One has type 2 (genital- which I know is a different type, so im sure is safe for obviouse reasons) and the other gets coldsores, especially when she is sick. She has on occasions kissed gizzie but never when she has a sore. So is he at risk being around either of them? Do thye have to physically come into contact w/ an open sore? Is it rare to see a chinchilla with herpes infections?
What exactly would the signs be?
If a chin got herpes how would it be treated?
Once the infection has set in, how long before syptoms show?
Is this just transfered to chinchillas or can other animals get it as well?

Remember you can contract herpes without symptoms. So your friend can be infectious before she shows any symptoms.
I get coldsores every couple of months. So I dont "kiss" my babies at all. They get their scritches which they love (but always wash hands first).
If you do have a herpes outbreak, I would suggest mask/gloves or wash your hands before feeding/watering. Avoid contact with them until you are cleared up. I believe you are contagious for what, 14 days?
Signs I've heard are like a URI - eye infections, runny eyes, trouble breathing. We thought maybe Loki had the herpes virus because his eye infections kept recurring.
Also some chins may carryherpes naturally and show NO symptoms.
Im not sure if other animals get herpes.
Yes, herpes infections in chinchillas are rare.
The virus is transmitted through touching (virus on your hands), even breathing on the chins (through droplets).
As for treatment, just like in humans there really isnt any. I only know Valtrex for human use and even that isn't a cure. The virus can mutate to resist the drug.

Last edited:
Strep is another one that can affect your chins. A woman in California I believe it was had Strep run through her herd.

There are any number of things that might be transmitted back and forth between you and your chins, but constantly worrying about them is only going to make you insane. Use common sense. If you're sick, wash your hands and wear a mask when handling your chins. If someone else is sick, tell them to stay home. It's not worth getting worked up over before it ever happens.

Herpes is actually a virus that lives in and is transported by the nervous system. Often when the "time is prime" ex. lowered immune system etc. the virus moves out to the surface in large numbers and causes a breakout, and sheds out the virus. But don't be fooled! The virus can also be shed without a blister, because it takes a certain level of them to cause the blister. So you can transmit herpes without a blister.

Also people can carry the virus and show no signs of it, some groups estimate that 80% of the population actually carries the virus but is not affected by it. I am not sure what, if any truth there is in that though.

Yes its true. I did a paper on herpes when I was in school. Its scary how many people do not know they have the virus. Thats why it is so wide spread. I was just not aware that it could be spread to a chinchilla. But I guess any virus is possible.

How would a chin be tested for herpes? I ask because my Poppy has chronic watery eyes, and despite several vet visits, swabs and x-rays, we cant seem to find a cause....

Thats what I've wondered too. Now im constantly looking for watery eyes. Im such a paranoid freak! lol. But it is really scary bc two people who are around him all the time that have both genital and oral herpes.

Back