Chinchillas and marijuana

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJR

the dreamer
Okay, so yesterday was my first day of class. We had to do an intro thing in general psych and I mentioned that I have chinchillas. This guy also mentioned that he has a chinchilla, and we were talking after class.

He apparently feeds his chinchilla weed on a regular basis, mostly seeds and stems. I told him flat out that there is no way that marijuana can be good for a chin, and he argued with me, telling me that "Zappa loves seeds and they are his favorite treat and he's never acted funny".

Quick background about "Zappa" - he is from a pet store somewhere in Lancaster and around eight years of age - apparently this guy's brother gave Zappa to him when he moved out three years ago.

So here's my question - is marijuana bad for chins? I couldn't give him a definitive argument, because I don't really know and he took that as a way to win the argument. Something along the lines of, "How can you know it's not good for them if you don't know?"

Please advise me on how to deal with this guy before I "smoke" him.

The guy sounds like he has already lost a few brain cells from all the pot he smokes, to think pot is OK for chins. Tell him to join stonerforums.com (I am not kidding there is a forum called that) there is a thread on chinchillas and the stoners say NO WAY.

Yeah, I am not sure how to answer this. You know...don't be mean, say things that are nice only...blah blah.

That guy is a giant moron. Feeding marijuana to an animal is stupid. Pot is also a little illegal and it's not a great idea to mention it to people that he has just met.

I would have probably yelled at him if he had told me about that, but that's me. I suppose you could print off some info about it not being good for the chin and hand it to him?

Thank you for the links, Kalandra. I guess I should have thought to google it, but I was too mad to actually think it through. Also, I was hoping that maybe someone here would have some firsthand experience.

Oh, and Ticklechin, that forum you posted is awesome. I think that, if this guy is going to listen to any information I give to him, it might be that. For anyone interested, here's the link.

In any case, I'm printing out all of the stuff I've been given and found and giving it to him tomorrow. Something tells me I am not going to succeed with this, but at least I can try.

Actually, could I report him to Animal Control?

Give him the info and if he's a jerk about it, report him. Give him a chance to clean up his act. Some people just don't realize that things are bad...I know, how could he know realize that it's stupid to give a chin marijuana? Still...give him a chance...after that fails, I guess you should report him.

Well let's ask this question--is marijuana bad for humans? Yes, it is despite the zillion arguments they have for it NOT being the case, YES marijuana is bad for humans. If it's bad for human, it's bad for chin. We're not talking grapes something a human can eat but a dog shouldn't--we're talking a narcotic. So of course marijuana is bad for his chin.

Can you argue with an idiot? Well, yes you can--does it get you anywhere--no it does not.

But...but...Laurie! It's NATURAL! Don't you know that things found naturally in the world are 100% safe for us??? Because, you know...none of our drugs on the market are derived from natural resources. They were all created in a lab...:wacko:

I lived with a girl who LOVED her weed. She had severe short term memory loss and would forget what she said five minutes after saying it. She'd also blow the smoke to the top of her cats' cat tree and let them run up there while she'd blow more on them. To her, that meant they WANTED to get "high". Her cats both had regular health problems...I can't say they're directly related to the pot, but considering the times they needed to be rushed to the vet were always after she had a huge "potfest" at her place...yeah.

Of course I would NEVER feed it to any animal, but I believe in medical marijuana. If I could of gotten my hands on some while my mother was in the last stages of her cancer, you bet I would of! I just heard of another new study on one of the news stations about how helpful it is with chronic pain, increasing appetite etc.

Anyway ..that was sort of off topic... How much weed is this guy smoking anyway??? Are you sure he wasn't just trying to get a reaction out of you? Maybe make him a care package of safe, edible treats and give it to him?

How much weed is this guy smoking anyway??? Are you sure he wasn't just trying to get a reaction out of you? Maybe make him a care package of safe, edible treats and give it to him?

I don't think he was trying to get a reaction out of me (also called "trolling"), he's one of those really laid back people... true "stoners", so to speak.

Also, as far as giving him anything, I'm gonna have to say no to that. He was pretty argumentative yesterday and didn't really listen to anything I had to say. I'm going to see how he reacts to the information I print out and if he's a total jerk, I'm probably going to report him to Animal Control or the police or both. I mean, giving animals illegal drugs has to be illegal in some way.

If he does a 180 and is polite/friendly tomorrow, perhaps I may make a care package for Zappa. But that is doubtful.

To be honest, there probably isn't any research on chins and marijuana. That being said, not giving chins marijuana would be the sensible thing to do. I know it's poisonous to at least cats and dogs, as the articles linked describe.

I have a friend who used to bring his dogs in his car to fishbowl with him. It always bothered me and then when I found out it was toxic to them I told him to stop but he had already stopped by that time which made me relieved. It's a stupid thing to do and I don't know why people would do it.

I also got two airtight jars from the same friend and I still cannot get the weed smell out of them. I wanted to use them for storing twigs and chewies, but since they were previously used to store weed there has been nothing I can use to get the smell out. I did put some apple twigs in there for a day or two once, since I knew I had washed it out and wondered if just the smell would deter her or makes the twigs smell. Chloe seemed a little less interested in them and the twigs smelled like weed. Don't know if it's just her smell preferences. They have been airing out in my room for months, but they are so nice, I don't want to get rid of them!! gah.

Some people.... Wow. I think I'll go back to thinking these people just don't exist. It's just not worth raising my blood pressure over.

But yeah, I would report him to somebody.

somehow...the name of the chin just reminded me too much of a user who was banned a few months ago. i believe that he and his friend allowed their pets to "free roam" together. not to be stereotypical at all, but i felt that they were very "free" type of people (hippie-ish) and it wouldnt put it past me if it was the same person. just a thought.

in regard to this issue, i agree 100% with laurie. if its bad for us, its bad for them. has your classmate given you any "scientific" reasons as to why this could be benenfical to the chin?

has your classmate given you any "scientific" reasons as to why this could be benenfical to the chin?

Especially since marijuana isn't regulated by any institution, you really don't know what's been added to it and what chemicals the plant was exposed to in the growing process. So, even if pure marijuana was ok for them, who knows what the chin is actually ingesting.

So much harm I want to cause this person...

Well, this seems anticlimactic. Due to a high volume of people in the course, I was transferred "at random" to a new section that they made this morning. Mr. FDA was, of course, not in it.

Maybe I'll run into him again, but with 9000 people on the campus... we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back