chinchilla won't use dust bath!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

My new chinchilla won't use his dust bath. I've changed containers 3 times. I've tried leaving him alone with it inside his cage, putting it outisde the cage, etc.
He just looks at it and walks away. When I put him directly in the dust bath he just leaves like he's scared. What can I do? Is this normal?

I'm using Living world chinchilla dust bath, it's all I can get here ( I live outside of the US), It's not scented or anything.

When I got my two rescues, they both snubbed their noses at the dust as well. I use blue cloud. They wanted to have nothing to do with it for about a week. Then, I figured I'd just put it in a shallow, wide pan, so they wouldn't have to go into the dust bath house. Two days later one started to use that, then the other. Now, both will use the dust house. :)

Sometimes, new chins are just too nervous or cautious of you, and your scent is going to be all over their dust house. I'd give them time. And try the shallow pan method. Sure, dust gets everywhere, but its worth it.

If they are baby kits its possible they never bathed before, also like Cahtie said they could be too scared to do something as vulnerable as rolling. Id try a shallow dish with just a few table spoons of dust and leave it there till the pee in it or use it. =P

Last night at around 12 pm I left the dust bath in the bottom of his cage for around an hour, I left the room and when I came back he had dust all over him and the bottom of the cage so I'm pretty sure he dusted! Maybe he just didn't want to dust in front of me.
Thanks

Yay I am glad he dusted! If it ever comes to a point where you think he isn't and his fur is getting greasy...rub a little dust on him yourself. But from the looks of it... I think he managed to figure it out!

Back