Chinchilla won't eat after dental

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiaxfrizzx

Hello my name is sophia. I have a chinchilla and his name is frizzles. 2 weeks ago frizzles had dental work done because his teeth were growing over his tongue. The vet said He had early signs of dental disease but it was best to file his teeth down. The reason why I brought him to the vet in the first place was because his paws started to go bald and his eye was running. I also noticed when he was eating he appeared to be gagging a little. He had the dental done and I'm currently giving him critical care 3 times a day because he lost weight. He's still not eating his pellets. He only eats about 3 pellets a day and today I noticed him gagging again when I gave him a treat. I have brought him back to the vet since the surgery and she looked at him and said he was fine and just told me to give him extra critical care.

Has anyone experienced their chinchilla struggling to eat after a dental? I'm just so worried about him. I don't want him to have to go through more surgery. He's 7 in June and has a heart murmur which makes surgery more of a risk so I'm all over the place with worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I brought him to the vet she looked into his mouth and said it was dental disease. He had his teeth filed two weeks ago and is on pain relief in the morning and critical care three times a day. He's eating small amounts by himself but he appears to gag when eating. Yesterday I noticed he was drooling. I'm very worried about him so I'm going to take him back to the vet. Just hate the thoughts of him going under again but I think he still have a problem with his teeth.

How much is he eating at each feeding? He may need to be eating more than 3 times a day if he isn't eating at all on his own. He may also need a higher dose of pain meds and some motility drugs to stimulate his gut.

If your vet didnt do xrays (which it sounds like they didnt) then they cant know if the roots are involved or not. If the roots are over grown then there is nothing that can be done. Its very important to get that checked asap.

I can sympathise. My 10 year old rescue chin had a dental 3 days ago and has been very poorly since. I've been syringe feeding him critical care several times day and night because he won't take much. Vet told me to take him back on Monday of no improvement. They did no x-ray but found 2 bad teeth and some sharp ones. He has started to pick up and is fighting me more when I give him meds, so I'm seeing some improvement.

Vet told me it can take a while before they are back to normal. It may be that he isn;t quite ready for dry food yet. How long ago did he have his op?

I brought him back to the vet and she said his tongue is red and sore at the back. During the dental it may have been injured. He's on antibiotics and two pain reliefs now. He's starting to pick at his pellets but still isn't eating what he should be by himself. If I don't see a change in the next few days I will bring him back. I asked the vet did X-rays need to be done to see if there is a problem with his roots and she said not at the moment. She said his teeth at the back were growing over his tongue so he is possible still sore after the dental. I just hope she's right but if I see no change I will bring him back because I would hate to think there's still a problem

You need to be hand feeding him at least 60 ml a day. He isn't going to want to eat on his own yet

I am giving him critical care 20mls three to four times a day. He's eating that no problem. Just not eating solids the way he should be.

It can take weeks to months after a dental appointment for a chin to go back on solid food. Some chins also develop a taste for the critical care and don't want to go back to solid foods. You may have to gradually solid it up on him.

Back