Chinchilla vet

Madip

How often should a chinchilla be seen at a vet?

Is it necessary to get a chinchilla neutered if you don’t have another sex and don’t plan on getting one??

Does anyone know of a vet in Michigan near warren that they can recommend?

Amethyst

Staff member
It's a good idea to get a check up when you first get a chin, make sure they are healthy and get your chin in as a client just in case. Beyond that if your chin seems healthy it's debatable, depending on how stressed going to the vet is, how far away it is, etc. Personally I don't bring them to the vet unless there is a reason, but others like to bring them in for a yearly wellness check. I do advise keeping a record of your chins weight though, at least monthly, often times the first sign you notice is weight loss.

No, there is no real reason or known benefit of getting a chin neutered if they are never going to be housed with a female. The surgery comes with a high risk of death and/or complications, it's not a simple neuter like a cat or dog, the testicles are held internally. The risk during surgery does go down if you have a very experienced vet though. Also the recover time is very long, up to 8 weeks assuming no compilations, during that time you have to make sure they don't pull their stitches and keep the wound clean. You may also need to hand feed since it's not uncommon for them to stop eating due to the pain.

As to a vet, I live in Alberta so I can't really help too much, but you can see if any of the vets on the forum list are still active. Veterinarian Listings

Madip

It's a good idea to get a check up when you first get a chin, make sure they are healthy and get your chin in as a client just in case. Beyond that if your chin seems healthy it's debatable, depending on how stressed going to the vet is, how far away it is, etc. Personally I don't bring them to the vet unless there is a reason, but others like to bring them in for a yearly wellness check. I do advise keeping a record of your chins weight though, at least monthly, often times the first sign you notice is weight loss.

No, there is no real reason or known benefit of getting a chin neutered if they are never going to be housed with a female. The surgery comes with a high risk of death and/or complications, it's not a simple neuter like a cat or dog, the testicles are held internally. The risk during surgery does go down if you have a very experienced vet though. Also the recover time is very long, up to 8 weeks assuming no compilations, during that time you have to make sure they don't pull their stitches and keep the wound clean. You may also need to hand feed since it's not uncommon for them to stop eating due to the pain.

As to a vet, I live in Alberta so I can't really help too much, but you can see if any of the vets on the forum list are still active. Veterinarian Listings
Thanks so much!!! Found a vet only 20 min away!!

Latest posts