Chinchilla untrained himself?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naomi_brightt

So my chinchilla litter trained himself basically, but in the last few weeks he has just been peeing around it and not in it, is there anything I can do?

Unfortunately litter training a chin is more just going with what they naturally want to do, most pick a spot to pee, but not all do. It's also not uncommon for them to decide to stop using the litter box, and it doesn't mean anything like it does with a cat for example. You can try retraining him, clean up any "accidents" and soak some litter in the pee and put it in the box. You can also try not fully cleaning the box so the scent of pee is still there, at least until he starts using it again.

Unfortunately litter training a chin is more just going with what they naturally want to do, most pick a spot to pee, but not all do. It's also not uncommon for them to decide to stop using the litter box, and it doesn't mean anything like it does with a cat for example. You can try retraining him, clean up any "accidents" and soak some litter in the pee and put it in the box. You can also try not fully cleaning the box so the scent of pee is still there, at least until he starts using it again.
Thank you, I'll give that a go

Back