Chinchilla Tunnels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinchillaville13

Okay, the ultimate chinchilla villa is still a WIP. But I have a cool plan for a habitat.

Have you seen the episode of Animal Cribs where Antonio and the crew work on a house for 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 ferrets, and 2 rabbits? Well, he did a ton of tiny cages for the ferrets, and spread them around the room on the walls, and connected them with tunnels. I was thinking about something like that, but with fewer small cages. Each cage would have 2 levels, but they'd still be small. I'd make sure there was a big main cage as well, so they can jump higher, run more, ect. But I don't know if I should do the tunnels/tubes. Maybe if I made them out of wood...?

I'm just lost on the topic. Are tunnels fine for chinchillas, or not? If so, which ones should I get?

If you do any kind of wall tunnels make sure they are fully accessible for cleaning, unlike ferrets chins poop all the time so you need to be vacuuming them out regularly. Also you need to be able to reach the chin so you would have to make them so the chin can't go in the tunnel and prevent you from being able to get them. I would also make them so that you can close them off if needed. I actually saw a clip on YouTube from an Animal Cribs show about a set up for chins, I don't agree with everything they did with the cages, but does show a good way to do tunnels

If you do any kind of wall tunnels make sure they are fully accessible for cleaning, unlike ferrets chins poop all the time so you need to be vacuuming them out regularly. Also you need to be able to reach the chin so you would have to make them so the chin can't go in the tunnel and prevent you from being able to get them. I would also make them so that you can close them off if needed. I actually saw a clip on YouTube from an Animal Cribs show about a set up for chins, I don't agree with everything they did with the cages, but does show a good way to do tunnels

I saw that episode. The cages were pretty cool but I also noticed some flaws. Their tunnels open up, right?

I saw that episode. The cages were pretty cool but I also noticed some flaws. Their tunnels open up, right?
yeah the tunnels open, that is what I was pointing out, tunnels like that could work since they have good airflow since they are wire mesh sides, you could easily access them to clean and grab the chin if needed.

Back