Chinchilla thrusting body forward

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre:)

I asked my vet about my chinchillas recurring issue but he said I shouldn't be concerned but I wanted to know if anyone knows why my chinchillas does this movement and makes a noise like he is in pain while it is happening. Not sure if it is hiccups or if they can be painful but he looks like he is in pain when it is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_3658.MOV
    19.3 MB
  • IMG_3659.MOV
    27.1 MB
When I click on the files you attached it just plays a sound recording, even if I turn the volume all the way up all I hear is maybe a fan or AC?

When I click on the files you attached it just plays a sound recording, even if I turn the volume all the way up all I hear is maybe a fan or AC?

Oh I'm not sure why i just used the "upload video" button let me try again

Attachments

• IMG_3659.MOV
    27.1 MB
  • IMG_3658.MOV
    19.3 MB
Oh I'm not sure why i just used the "upload video" button let me try again
Yeah still just gives me the same sound clip. I'm thinking maybe MOV files aren't compatible with windows or maybe my computer doesn't have the right player. :unsure: When I upload videos online I use MP4 format.

To answer you question without the video though, chins do get hiccups, and it does sound weird, almost like a soft bark. It is likely uncomfortable but shouldn't really be painful, but just like with humans it can be annoying and can make them grumble (just like some people get mad and swear when they get the hiccups). So long as it doesn't last for a long period of time (like more then a day) and you aren't noticing any other health issue it's likely nothing to worry about. It can happen just like with other animals, ate or drank too fast, got excited or scared, stuff like that. If it lasts for more then a day or two at a time though it can be a sign of a health issue and needs to be checked out by the vet.

I was able to see the video (I use VLC media player, since it's able to read most things)....that doesn't look like hiccups. It almost look like he's choking on something. Is he still eating/pooping/drinking as usual?

If he's doing it constantly and it's a new thing, I'd lean towards a vet visit.

I was able to see the video (I use VLC media player, since it's able to read most things)....that doesn't look like hiccups. It almost look like he's choking on something. Is he still eating/pooping/drinking as usual?

If he's doing it constantly and it's a new thing, I'd lean towards a vet visit.

its a recurring thing, it lasts about 15 mins and it started happening like a year ago and the first time it happend i took him to the vet the next day and he said everything felt fine and looked fine but then it had happened miltiple times since (always spaced out not back to back) and it just happened a month ago so idk if its getting more frequent but my vet said i shouldnt be concerened but i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something and he just had a physical 2 weeks ago and everything was fine again and he eats and drinks normally too but i noticed he messes with this male parts when its happening and also pulls his poops out more frequently so idk if its something down there annoying him or straining to poop but once its over hes completely back to normal its weird

Hello, my chin Walt has done the exact same thing a few times. First noticed it when he was just under a year old and freaked out about it. It hasn't happened too often but when it has its always during and after he's cleaned his male parts. I spoke to my vet about it when it first happened and he did not seem too concerned. He did find it interesting that it was after he cleaned his male parts. Checked for hair rings and all was ok there. I hope all is ok with your little guy and from my experience of that happening its never a concern for me.

Hello, my chin Walt has done the exact same thing a few times. First noticed it when he was just under a year old and freaked out about it. It hasn't happened too often but when it has its always during and after he's cleaned his male parts. I spoke to my vet about it when it first happened and he did not seem too concerned. He did find it interesting that it was after he cleaned his male parts. Checked for hair rings and all was ok there. I hope all is ok with your little guy and from my experience of that happening its never a concern for me.

thank you for letting me know that makes me feel better, my chinchilla is 8 so he hasn't been doing it since that young so thats why i was extra concerned, but to hear that a younger chinchillas does the same thing at least its not an age thing like hes getting old and having more issues because of age. I've actually had him since birth and his mother died unexpectedly at age 7 about 2 years ago so ive just been exrta paranoid since then trying to make sure i don't miss anything.

Back