Chinchilla Taxidermy (??)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meiying

Chester & Jeffy
So, I dont know how to say it without sounding too gross, i am actually thinking, if, lets say 10 years later, my chinchilla pass away, i would like to preserve his remains.

Here is the background: My chinchilla Chester is my first pet ever in my life, in my previous 30 years I never ever had a pet, not even a turtle..... My boyfriend got him for me as a surprise 2 years ago because I had been wanting to have a chinchilla for a while. I also have 2 guinea pigs and another chinchilla.

So today my boyfriend took his black bear to a taxidermy shop for making his first bear rug (I know it sounds gross, I dont appreciate people hunting animals for their skins or food ). I saw the taxidermists got all types of animals made e.g. fish, bear, wolf, fox, bird, mice......etc. I asked him how much would that be for a small size rodent , he said it would cost about $300 with it mounting on something..... I immediately thought if i could preserve my first ever pet, that would be awesome.

Am I too crazy or has anyone share the same thought???:facepalm:

I actually watched a video on the possibility of taxidermy-ing (new word!) your own corpse once you pass away about a month ago...

Anyway, the briefly touched on pets. Most taxidermists do not like to taxidermy pets because they have a generic "skeleton" they use to taxidermy an animal. So even if your pet cat "fits" their cat mold, it won't really look like Mr. Fluffy anymore. It's basically the same reason why someone who gets a face transplant doesn't look like the person that the face skin came from.

You can watch the video for more info. It goes over various preservation techniques, so if you just want to watch the taxidermy part, it starts here.

We keep the remains of our pets that have passed away through cremation. The top of my living room bookshelf has 3 little urns on it: 2 snakes and the dog. Eventually, I know, the kitties and eventually the chins will join them. My idea is to preserve these ashes until they can form a diamond for me to have made into jewelry. In my mind, that makes them "eternal" even though their spirits have moved on into other bigger things.

I forgot to mention, that I have thought about what happens when Mochi dies. Hopefully by then I will own my own home. If that pans out, then I plan on using her ashes to fertilize the apple tree that will be in my back yard since she loves apple sticks so much. :cute:

I have already decided to take gus to taxidermist when the time comes hopefully not for a long long time but I know I want it done and I really dont care what people think, if they think its weird or gross, its my pet and my choice

I googled chinchilla taxidermy trying to find a picture of one done and never found a picture, I was also interested but I am afraid it will look terrible so I want to see a example. People can't make a good stuffed animal, no sure if the chins look will translate well in taxidermy.

I could never do it. Having said that I totally understand why people would want that. It doesnt matter what people say. Its your pet, and how you chose to remember them or memoralize them is your choice.

I'm personally more for the cremation of pets. You see different TV shows where they make fun of taxedermied pets, and I kind of get it .... To each their own really. I however could just never keep looking at my pet and knowing it was not really alive. I feel like it's more honorable to have them cremated in a way?

Taxidermy is a lovely, when done well. You may find that when that dreadful time does come there are few willing to taxidermy a chinchilla. A pet especially. Some taxidermist will not attempt small exotics. It's difficult to work with a chinchilla if they have never done so. If possible find a taxidermist who has worked specifically with chinchillas or small exotics.

Other than that I am found of the idea myself.

You may want to consider freeze-drying your pet. They can be shaped and perserved in the manner you like, and its said the pet looks a lot more like your pet. Very realistic, instead of just a skin on a fake skeleton. This would avoid the afore mentioned problem of the pet just not looking like your pet.

I've considered it for my pets, but I'm not sure I could handle seeing them every day like that. That'd be more painful to me then burying them, I think.

Saw a show on tv where they freeze dry pets. Its probably harder to find then a taxidermist, and probably a bit more expensive (and takes a long time), but it could be worth the effort to research into it.

You may want to consider freeze-drying your pet. They can be shaped and perserved in the manner you like

Yeah, thats exactly what that taxidermist does. Here's his web site http://www.anglerstaxidermy.com/

It would be about $300 for a rat size mammal. I am just wondering would he be able to keep the chinchilla's fur smooth.....

I do have to, however, agree with some of you that it might actually be hard to look at every day knowing that it was not alive :cry3:

Yeah, thats exactly what that taxidermist does. Here's his web site http://www.anglerstaxidermy.com/

It would be about $300 for a rat size mammal. I am just wondering would he be able to keep the chinchilla's fur smooth.....

I do have to, however, agree with some of you that it might actually be hard to look at every day knowing that it was not alive :cry3:

Taxidermy is usually just taking the skin off and putting it on a mold or fake skeleton or something from what I understand, so I didn't realize that you meant freeze drying. 300 seems reasonable. From what I've seen on that show, this method is very good at preserving the fur (which is understandably important for chins). That said, I'm not sure about chinchillas. They slip/lose fur so easily...

Then again, we wouldn't have chin pelt clothing if it were impossible to keep the fur intact. :hmm:

Freeze drying is an alright method for fur. But if the fur at the time of death is matted or slipped it cannot be fixed. Only replaced by fur of similar texture/color and quality.

Another alternative is one that I am thinking about doing when Mr. Whiskers, my beloved firstborn dies.

I plan on getting him to a rancher friend to have him pelted and finished, then having a rose made from his fur. I will keep all of his whiskers, for which he is named and that I love the most.

I agree, it's not for everyone, but I think that it would be easier for me to have his fur that I love so much without having to look at a (possibly) not so lifelike chinchilla. It could be a long stemmed rose or a pin to wear often.

Just another idea...

I knew of a breeder who saved the pelts of her beloved chins after they died. She wanted to eventually make a memorial scarf out of them but I'm not sure if she ever did it. I also remember someone who wanted to make a teddy bear out of the pelts of her chins that passed away. It's hard to find someone
who makes bears out of pelts though. Most who make teddy bears are used to working with synthetic fur and fabrics and not natural pelts.

Interesting. With passed on pets I get an impression of their paws done and have them cremated. Then I bury the ashes and grow a flower or other plant of significance where they are buried.

I remember seeing one on eBay at one point of time that was listed as a stuffed zombie chinchilla with a cheerleader Barbie (I think there was faux blood coming from the chin's mouth and blood all over the Barbie as if he had attacked her).. wish I could find pictures of it, it was rather entertaining. I'm pretty sure it sold for a decent price, I was just beyond amazed that someone had the imagination to come up with such a thing..

I like the idea of saving a piece of pelt. How would you go about that?

To save the pelt you'd need to get it processed. By the time I finally give up on mine their pelts have never been in good enough condition to save. Sickness and age makes the skin so thin and the fur so weak it tears when you try to pelt them and looks terrible. You could always pluck them after death, spin it into yarn and have a little crochet chinchilla made.

Back