Chinchilla Seizure Emergency

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinatoandChili

My chin, Minato, has currently been having seizures. Last week he had in total around 4. Today, he’s had 7 all in one day. I’ve taken him to an exotic vet and emergency hospital last night. Bloodwork was tested (it was fine), but the vet suggested to prescribe dental medications to kill an infection he could have since he’s had dental problems in the past. It’s been 3 days, and his seizures are getting worse. I’ve been trying to contact my vet to see if she could put him on anti-seizure meds but wanted to see if anybody had anything like this happen to their chin or if their chin has had anti-seizure meds.

My last choice is to put my sweet Minato down, although it hurts me so much it hurts me more seeing him suffer without any help. Some vets say it could be neurological (a brain tumor) or a heart problem. If you could help with advice or personal experience, I would gladly appreciate it.

I don't really have any more advice, but that sucks. :( I'm pretty sure I read about people getting meds to help with seizures in their chins, obviously if it's a tumor or something like that they may be nothing they can do. I also know Fuzzies Kingdom does sell a seizure supplement and has a bit more info on them as well as possible causes you could maybe talk to the vet about. Seizures in rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs, degus

I don't really have any more advice, but that sucks. :( I'm pretty sure I read about people getting meds to help with seizures in their chins, obviously if it's a tumor or something like that they may be nothing they can do. I also know Fuzzies Kingdom does sell a seizure supplement and has a bit more info on them as well as possible causes you could maybe talk to the vet about. Seizures in rabbits, chinchillas, guinea pigs, degus
Thank you Amethyst, I have looked on their website.

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to let you know that one of mine had many huge seizures when I first got him. After tons of testing and vet visits, the conclusion was that he basically had epilepsy. He got a valium suppository for the big ones just to keep him from overheating during them. They would last an hour. As he got older they got more and more rare, and he's been a healthy boy.

Back