Chinchilla Penis Issues?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuhleestarr

Today I walked in on my chinchilla, Beef Wellington, cleaning his penis. He is almost 2 years old. I noticed that his penis was swollen in two separate places. It looked like 2 bubbles. He was cleaning it for a little and it retracted back but I wanted to look at it again because my internet searches were yielding no results. I gave him his 'cuddle buddy' and let him hump it so I can see his penis again. When he finished and started to clean off again the bubbles were gone and his penis was back at its normal size. I couldn't tell if it looked a little more red than usual though. Otherwise he is acting normal. Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

Sounds like he probably had a hair ring around his penis. Which is probably why he was cleaning himself in the first place. You can use the search at the top of the page to find how to do a hair ring check. There is definitely one good video on youtube that shows it as well.

I thought it could have been a hair ring at first but I didn't see one, unless he got it off right before I looked. But since it is all back to normal maybe it was. I'll keep an eye on him. Thanks!

Today I walked in on my chinchilla, Beef Wellington, cleaning his penis. He is almost 2 years old. I noticed that his penis was swollen in two separate places. It looked like 2 bubbles. He was cleaning it for a little and it retracted back but I wanted to look at it again because my internet searches were yielding no results. I gave him his 'cuddle buddy' and let him hump it so I can see his penis again. When he finished and started to clean off again the bubbles were gone and his penis was back at its normal size. I couldn't tell if it looked a little more red than usual though. Otherwise he is acting normal. Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)
Hi, I've been doing a lot of searching because my chinchilla also had swelling that looked like two bubbles (-like twice the width of his penis, so kind of scary,) but I checked for hair ring after he had finished cleaning and didn't find one. He had groomed twice in an hour, which is why I looked more closely the second time he was cleaning and saw the swelling. Maybe he removed the hair ring himself. But I noticed that intense swelling once before and checked for a hair ring and didn't find one. The vet just checked him a couple weeks ago and didn't find a hair ring.
I was wondering if you ever noticed this again or found out a different cause than the hair ring. I'm considering taking him back to the vet, but curios if a swollen penis without a hair ring has another diagnosis and treatment. And it's not prolapsed and looks pretty normal when doing the hair ring inspection -except a bit red at the tip...maybe not sure if that's just his natural coloration. Thanks for any help or insights!

Back