Chinchilla not eating new food

Bellie

So my chin, Boots, doesn't like her new food. It's the exact same kind I always get (Oxbow essentials), but for some reason she hates the new bag I bought. I first bought a new bag because the old one was running low, but she refused to eat it. So I kept giving her the old food mixed with the new one but she would just pick/throw out the pellets she didn't want. It's been about a month and now I'm out of the old bag. I thought maybe the new bag I bought was faulty or something, so I bought another (again, oxbow essentials). However, she still refuses to eat it! I'm not sure what to do. I have no more food that she likes, so she only has the new food in her bowl. I think maybe her old food was aired out so she liked it? Ahhhh I don't know what to do. She won't touch it. It's only been a few hours since I put it in her bowl, but since it's her playtime she normally stops to eat. I can tell she's getting hangry, too. She's always been very picky....

Do you guys have any suggestions? Has something like this happened to you before? If I just keep the food in her bowl (which is all I can do at this point), will she eventually eat it????

Any help is rlly appreciated T_T

Amethyst

Staff member
I have noticed a couple time now I've got a bag of Oxbow Essentials that is a bit "off". The color is more brown then green, and it doesn't have that sweet alfalfa smell to it. The only suggestion I have is to try looking at the food when you buy it, the bags have a little clear strip on the sides and make sure it looks greenish not brown. Mine did eventually eat most of the brown looking pellets, but I definitely tossed out more pellets and they ate more hay until I finally used up the bag and got a new one that looked green and smelled good.

Latest posts