Chinchilla Grieving

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinnies_

So I have two chinchillas Peanut and Snowball they both have opposite personalities. Peanut is more energetic and the dominant one where as Snowball is shy and calm. Today, Peanut sadly passed away from a GI infection and I miss him very much. Peanut and Snowball were cage mates and were cuddle with each other and play with each other. Snowball was bullied when he was younger by his sibling and peanut helped him. I told Snowball that peanut has passed away he seems fine but I do think he knows something is wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do I don’t want to lose Snowball either. Do I get another chinchilla? Thank you.

Try to spend some extra time with Snowball, give him some extra playtime, new toys, maybe even rearrange the cage. You want to try to get his mind off the loss, also if you are upset he will pick up on that too. You can also try getting him a chinnie buddie, basically it's a fleece stuffed animal shaped like a chin to cuddle with. You can try getting a new chin if you want one, but do keep in mind that not all chins get along so you may end up with two single chins. Also any new chin should be quarantined for 30 days away from your current one to make sure it's not carrying anything that it can pass on to Snowball and for it to settle in. Since Snowball is more shy and got bullied before you'll want to find another more calm chin to pair him with for the best chance.

I ordered a chinnie buddy but because of COVID-19 shipping is delayed it should be here soon though. Thank you for your input.

Back