Chinchilla fur wad

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyChinChins

Okay, so its probally not too too serious, but Im really concerned.
Chili has had these fur knots for a few months now. I tried picking them out but I cant. I tried trimming them-wont work. I dont want to shave her; at ALL. Please, any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 52
You have to tug them out. They will come out, you have to put force in the pull. The fur has to grow back completely and you will have a bald spot, but the tufts need to come out. Pull from the interior of the tuft firmly.

You have to tug them out. They will come out, you have to put force in the pull. The fur has to grow back completely and you will have a bald spot, but the tufts need to come out. Pull from the interior of the tuft firmly.

Wouldn't it hurt her? Like, they're REALLY knotted in there :tantrum:

Kiwi had a wad like that, much smaller mind you, but we managed to comb it out. We used a fine grooming comb to work it out. It took quite a bit of passes and some considerable force to get out. By considerable I mean it would probably hurt like **** if you were brushing a knot out of your hair. But knotted hair is still attached to your head. I suspect that the clump was already detached, but just stuck in place, the fur being so thick and all, so I don't think it hurt her. She didn't cry or anything, and she was already squirming, as being held down and groomed is the last thing any chinnie wants.

Hmm, I cant seem to figure out how to edit posts if possible. Sorry for posting two in a row, but I forgot to add, with the size of wads on your Chili, I would try and take it slow and remove small sections at a time if possible.

I comb out the mats regardless of the size. The longer the mats remain, the bigger they will get. It is annoying to the chinchilla but does not hurt them since the mats are made up of dead fur that is stuck to new fur. You will get some bald spots but those will grow out in a couple of months. Leaving mats in actually pulls on the fur and can cause irritated skin.

You will get kacked at, but they do need to come out. I just pulled some knotted tufts out of one of my girls. She kacked at me, but got over it quickly.

Back