Chinchilla Fur Problem

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumbleBea

Hi All,

We've come home from work today to find our young (adopted)chinchilla with fur that looks wet but doesnt feel wet and no wetness to be seen in their cage. I've attached a photo. I've given them a sand bath but it doesn't seem to have improved. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

They have been a little stressed as it's around Bonfire Night and they dont like the fireworks. Could it be related?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20191104_204342.jpg
    20191104_204342.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 9
I'm not really sure where you say looks wet, a few areas look not right. Is it under his chin? or more on the side of his head? If it's under the chin is it possible he is drooling? If so that means something wrong in his mouth, likely tooth issues. If it's more the side of his head/shoulder area, maybe he brushed up against the water bottle. If that might be the case just try combing it to make it look normal again

I'm not really sure where you say looks wet, a few areas look not right. Is it under his chin? or more on the side of his head? If it's under the chin is it possible he is drooling? If so that means something wrong in his mouth, likely tooth issues. If it's more the side of his head/shoulder area, maybe he brushed up against the water bottle. If that might be the case just try combing it to make it look normal again
Thanks for your reply, the whole area looks linked really. It goes from the side of his head, below his ears all the way down to his chin. It's also on the other side of his head to a lesser extent.

We're currently working on handling him as we've only had him a couple of weeks, but will try to comb the area. Its probable that he wont let me though. If its stress, linked to fireworks I dont really want to make it worse.

Thanks again!

Edit: just checked and it looks lots better!! I'm hoping it was just him brushing against his bottle but will keep an eye on him. Thanks!

Back