Chinchilla food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingos

recently bought the Oxbow Garden Select pellets for my chin and I realized that they aren’t supposed to eat dry fruits or veggies. My dumb*** thought that It was no different than the Oxbow essentials pellets. I wanted to switch from Kaytee pellets to Oxbow pellets, so I fed my chin a very small amount of the garden select pellets and she ended up having soft stool. I immediately took the food away and put her in a hay diet. Today I went to the vet and they told me that it’s nothing serious and I should continue to feed her hay for one more day. I’m thinking of buying her the Oxbow essential pellets, but that’s already two pellet changes in the past week. I don’t know what to do. Should I stick with the Garden select or switch over to the Essentials?

I would switch to the Oxbow Essentials, feeding the garden select is likely to cause other problems. You can just feed hay for a few days that should help increase the fiber in the body to help the poop firm up, then go straight to the Essentials.

I really hate that Oxbow came out with a new foods that aren't appropriate for chins, it really makes things confusing especially for new owners. People have just said "Oxbow" is one of the best for years, but don't specify which one since there used to only be one, there are now 3 Essentials, Garden Select, and Simple Harvest. The Simple Harvest doesn't look that bad, but I've never really gotten a clear answer from anyone about it, so the only Oxbow one really advised to give is the Essentials.

I would switch to the Oxbow Essentials, feeding the garden select is likely to cause other problems. You can just feed hay for a few days that should help increase the fiber in the body to help the poop firm up, then go straight to the Essentials.

I really hate that Oxbow came out with a new foods that aren't appropriate for chins, it really makes things confusing especially for new owners. People have just said "Oxbow" is one of the best for years, but don't specify which one since there used to only be one, there are now 3 Essentials, Garden Select, and Simple Harvest. The Simple Harvest doesn't look that bad, but I've never really gotten a clear answer from anyone about it, so the only Oxbow one really advised to give is the Essentials.
I called my vet and asked her this and she said to the garden select pellets for 5 more days and then gradually switch to the essential pellets. Hopefully it doesn’t make her stool soft again.

Back